ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ATB Video: Pippin & Chevy's Pups Day of Discovery


(Pause the PlayList music before viewing!)

At 9 weeks old, Chevy & Pippin's pup discover the pond as their world continues to expand around them.  The first day, TK sat down in the water and simply relaxed. Hemi and Mopar ran around the edge and dipped their toes in randomly.  The following day TK deliberately walked out and actually swam briefly. He seemed quite pleased with himself.  Mopar also swam but it was not by choice.  His inquisitive nature caused him to approach the waters edge on the deeper side of the pond where the embankment is just slightly steeper and PLOP!  In he went! I was ready to go in after him of course but there was no need - he sized the situation up quite nicely and simply paddled along the 'shore' for several feet.  Hemi also likes the water, he has gone in and remained standing up to his belly - just no swimming yet.  I've ordered a few more retrieving bumpers for the adults and look forward to the 3 musketeers observing water retrieves. 

I'm enjoying having the 3 pupsters here; it gives me a chance to continue to watch their development. A lot of breeders (not necessarily of our breed) will intentionally hold back their pups now until 9 - 12 weeks old. This makes sense.  Just at 8 weeks of age a lot of pups are entering another fear stage.  I've seen that here personally in the past and also learned of it from those with our pups.  While some pups appear to be ready for new homes at 7 weeks of age, I agree with Maines animal welfare law that they must remain with the breeder until 8 weeks - it is for the well being of the puppies.  In states where there is no such law pups leave as young as 6 weeks which I just think is terrible. You know I feel that pups benefit substantially by constant interaction with their mother.  From birth to weaning, they should be with each other.  When it's time for complete weaning and to dry up mom's milk supply pups need to be kept physically away from her.  When it's clear she will no longer tolerate attempts from her babies to nurse and/or she no longer has milk they should be together again in as much as is possible. Most mothers will uniquely teach their pupsters life long lasting lessons about respect. When unaccustomed to the verbal language used by a mother to communicate it can appear that she's being aggressive to her pups.  Her primary lesson is that of teaching bite inhibition, something they also learn from each other. 

Dogs never are as fierceful and aggressive with other dogs in their life than when they are under 8 weeks old.  If the same level of [play] "fighting" that occurs between young littermates was observed between adult dogs it would in most cases be unacceptable.  This is not to say that adult dogs can't play with each other but YOU have to KNOW the dogs involved. But even the best of canine friends should always be supervised when there is rough housing going on and especially when children are involved.  We won't tolerate any show of teeth even if in play with adults here. We will always intervene when things get too vocal between two dogs. And we never will allow two dogs to rise and stand on their hind legs together in playfulness - it's like setting them up.  This is a show of dominance and in these situations the only dominant one should be 'you'.  Once again here we can understand the importance of knowing what true canine communication looks like, what the ears say, the posture, the expressions, the tail etc.  With all the information available these days there's no excuse for not knowing the difference between acceptable and unacceptable dog behavior.

I'm referring mostly to the adult dogs.  But it is in the puppy pen that lessons of acceptable dog behavior are first learned.  From momma dog, from each other, and of course from the breeder and other knowledgable adults who interact with the pups. Frequent handling is of utmost importance.   For a very brief time in their development the breeder may mimic the behavior of correction from momma dog.  As pup grows and matures these methods are outgrown and verbal commands and social interaction with other dogs and people become extremely important.  Once a pup leaves their breeder and all that is familiar to go to their new homes basic puppy kindergarten classes become extremely important. Finding a good trainer with philosophies similar to the breeder and the new owner is key.  Especially when it comes to a breed such the Brittany.  The importance of structured puppy training in a class situation cannot be over emphasized.  (In fact anyone who has one of our pups knows we now require this!)

If you notice in the video above of the pupsters they are exploring on their own.   My experience is to remain as quiet as possible when little ones are discovering the world around them.  Even when they are much younger - although I love on them and cuddle them frequently - I'm not one for using baby talk with pups or adult dogs. I want them to be confident in their own right and not turn around and look at me as if to say 'is this allright'? There are times they will run back to me of course and times when it's appropriate to lavish high praise on them for doing this.  But if I am praising these pups for each and every behavior they offer me eventually my praise will be meaningless and also become, believe or not, boring! My voice will be tuned out. On the other hand when they hear a jubilant, happy-joy-joy, loud, and certain single verbal command of "COME PUPPY", followed by clapping of my hand - and if there is a treat hidden in my hand - that puppy who has wandered off the beaten path is going to come flying!  If I'm going on and on and on with lots of talking and suddenly say no puppy don't do that you should't do that no that's not nice and string a long sentence together of no this no that... well - therein is the tuning out effect once more!  Yet, if pup does something I do not want repeated, at this age I am using the meanest, sharpest tone of voice I can and saying simply "NO."  If pup encounters something that is kind of spooky at this age, or has an unusual and unpleasant experience causing them to run to me for comfort - well, please don't think this is hard hearted - bit I will ignore their reaction. Telling them it's all right, aww poor puppy, come to momma (daddy), is a fairly common reaction but it does not help a young pup develop confidence.  If anything, it teaches them to be leery of new and uncertain situations.  It's interesting to observe dog owners and their leashed friend while at the vets office, especially the dogs that are physically anxious panting, drooling, shaking, or in some cases woofing at every passer by.  Usually the dog will sit between the owners legs while the owner pets the dog continually saying  that it's all right, it's okay... etc. etc.  Well, it's not really okay to tell your dog it's okay to be nervous.  What we're doing here, quite unintentionally, is actually re-enforcing a negative or undesireable behavior.

Well I have to practice what I preach a lot, and none of us get it right every time so that's why I love to dive into training books of every shape and size.  It's why I offer a list of suggested books that I have read and that I liked. I do not like every book I read - anymore than you will like every trainer you meet!  So, as I'm blogging about a little bit of everything this morning, TK, Hemi, and Mopar are complaining loudly several feet in back of me. They are contained in an X-Pen.  I know they have been fed, they have gone to the bathroom, they have water available, lots of toys and that they are cool under the ceiling fan.  But I'm out of their sight.  I walk past them every once in awhile but I don't acknowledge them unless they are being quiet.  And these boys get that!  They will sit and watch (I've been using the clicker with them) for me to make eye contact with them.   They don't jump onto the sides of the x-pen or climb over each other in hopes of getting to me.  If they've been playing, they will stop and sit. And wait. But they don't have to wait long because that is AWESOME behavior in my opinion of three little 9 week old Brittany pups - to sit and contain all that enthusiasm just because the want me to pet, praise, and acknowledge them is worthy of all kinds of affection from me - and they get it. It comes in the form of me plopping myself down in the middle of the floor so that they smother me with kisses. It comes in the belly rubs and ear scratches lavished upon them.  It is found in the tone of voice used as I tell them how good good good they are.  But they are not needy, and they can cope with me being out of their site, and I will reward them for that.  A lot of their training right now is based on group dynamics of course but I'm not depending on that.  When Mopar and TK leave with new owners they will be well adjusted and quite capable of moving forward into their own great futures.  For the time being however, they will continue to learn and grow right here, right now, right where they are.  And I am loving every minute of life with these 3 Musketeers.

You know we appreciate your interest so much... Please take care and God bless you always, John, Ann and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!