ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

ATB: Treasure and Bullets Brittany Puppy "Toddlers"

We're beginning to see incredible changes here, not only from day to day but from morning to night.  I'm convinced the pups grow in their sleep and am absolutely certain that their brains work overtime perculating all of the previous days events. Each morning as they awake anew to begin another day Colt, Winchester, Bolt, Marlin, Patience, Rugar, Grace, Browning, Heart, Henry and last but not least Hope are raring to go with a "bring it on" attitude.  I love it!  We've been careful not to overload their senses but we do take great joy in helping them emerge from their previous developmental stage into what we consider to be the 'toddler stage'.   Think for minute of a human baby approaching the age of 1 year old. That is the average time we expect them to be upright and walking albeit quite unstable and wobbly at first. So it is has been with Treasure and Bullet's pups.  Several adventurous little spirits were using their legs to take little baby puppy steps very early, even before 2 weeks of age.   Now they all have caught up and not only walking very well but have mastered climbing up, over, and out of their whelping box. John increased the height of the sides a few days ago but this morning we discovered that pups are scaling them again!

They are spending more time outside of the box in the whelping room area which is about to be totally transformed into a huge puppy pen. This will be where they spend the majority of time in the next 4 1/2 weeks. In the meantime I have so much fun hanging out with the pups and getting to know them.  Simply saying that phrase reminds me of the video I created of Molly and Scooby's pups called "Getting to Know You" with the Rogers and Hammerstein song of the same name as the back drop! That's what it is like.  We're making a lot more noise intentionally every time we approach them. Talking, calling their names, clapping our hands and making sure they look up from where they are to make eye contact.  The eye contact is very important to develop at this stage of their growth.  Their vision is much clearer and will continue to develop.  Since birth I have been gently laying them in the crook of my arm, placing them on their back and lightly holding them in place until they settle down. Not all pups like this but by teaching them gentle resistance at an early age, they are better suited to accept the leadership and strong assertiveness from the humans who will love and care for them in the months and years ahead.  I see a huge difference in their reaction to the simple exercise now that their eyes are open. They gaze up at me with such trust and I gently speak their name, telling them always how good they are. Now the result is seen in that the majority of them simply rest back in my arms with little to no struggle. (This isn't the same as an alpha roll which does have it's place of training in an older pup or dog - when done with someone who understands the right way and the reason to do it.)

Last evening I sat on the outside of the soon to be puppy pen to encourage them to explore even further and in hopes I'd really get some good response to them reacting to my voice. They didn't let me down at all!  I did my puppy puppy puppy call and added the sound of light clanging of their mother's water bucket.  Sure, a few backed up and away from the sound at first but as I continued their curiosity got the best of them and they happily approached the source of sound and also came closer to me.

I am fascinated by what the pups do at this stage and surely do not want to miss a thing.  They are changing so fast and no matter how many times in my life I am blessed to observe pups from birth onward I never ever can get enough.  You learn something new all the time.  I'm not sure what a difference it makes in the overall scheme of things but I do know it makes a difference in the first few weeks of their life, as the uppermost thought is primarily preparing these toddlers to spend their entire lives with humans. 

I will use the clicker eventually with these pups.  It will help me help them learn to settle and focus, to anticipate something worth waiting for. And hopefully lay a very informal foundation for their owners to continue in their puppy training once in their new home.  I will also eventually begin to play the CD I've referred to in the past and all the time closely monitor their reaction.  There are happy and welcoming sounds in life as far as pups are concerned. There are also freaky and scary sounds in life to them.  The goal is to have them accept all of the sounds as perfectly normal.  The key to a lot of that is being sure that people do not overact or make a big deal when the scary freaky stuff is encountered either as a toddler puppy or at any other time.  Startle responses need to be handled with wisdom. I like to give a pup who shows a negative reaction to something time to work out it and find their way back to their comfort zone. But within reason. One of the exercises we do here is holding the pup in our hands extended up, out, and away from our body. They basically have a birds eye view of the world around them.  The sensation of being held like that works in a variety of ways and will create a stress that is useful. But as soon as I sense a change in their breathing or they show signs of anxiousness, the little pup is gently brought back to my chest, held and coddled, loved on and kissed and then reunited with their littermates, momma, or placed in their warm crate pad. 

11 puppies to love, handle, kiss, play with, enjoy one by one every day several times a day.  Labors of love with self serving benefits because I love spending time with them.  Not a whole lot of other things get done around the house. Some might argue "what else is new!"  This week we will help the pups continue to discover and explore their ever enlarging environment as we anticipate shaping their world with the help of Treasure who does it best.  She's already showing them how fun it can be to squeak squeak squeak a stuffed bone shaped toy and not to be afraid of it. They are engaging in play with each other, finding their voices, practicing their grrrr grrrr sounds with each other and so much more.  Today was the best so far though.  One of the pups which had not quite reached the point of wanting to run across the box to greet me yet discovered I'm not so bad.  He came over to where my head was bent low over them and stretched his little neck up to tickle my cheek by giving sweet little puppy kisses. I closed my eyes tightly in an attempt to prevent the tears from rolling down my face onto his.

In closing I want to share good news in that Magnum continues to improve daily. His family has gone above and beyond with their care for him as he recovers.  We have news about another Pippin/Chevy puppy too - Bogey.  We are happy to say he will be here at (as Justin says) Camp ATB for awhile learning  basic yardwork while also enjoying summer bird and field work with his brother Hemi.  And speaking of joy and happiness - Bullet is once again back in Maine, reunited with Julie, Sassy, and Thistle. We're all very happy about that!  Take care and God bless - we appreciate you so much.
John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!