ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

ATB: 5 Week Brittany Puppy Weigh In & Photo


WEEKLY WEIGH IN - 5 Weeks old
Colt - 4 lbs 15 oz
Marlin - 4 lbs 5 oz
Heart - 4 lbs 8 oz
Henry - 5 lbs 4 oz
Bolt - 4 lbs 4 oz
Patience - 4 lbs 5 oz
Rugar - 4 lbs 14 oz
Grace - 4 lbs 5 oz
Hope - 4 lbs 5 oz
Winchester - 4 lbs 9 oz
Browning - 5 lbs 1 oz

So many wonderful changes going on now.  Daily new experiences include introduction to the outside and the other dogs, new toys, sights, sounds and more. The whole world is one great big playground to these 5 week old Brittany pups. Most important right now is that they spend as much time with humans as possible having a chance to meet new people on a regular basis. This is one of the reasons I like to wait for this age and also spread out the visits over a two - three week period. This afternoon they were enjoyed by our friend Mal who stopped in to say hello. Mal shares his life with 3 English Setters but he loves Treasure and especially her pups. He enjoyed spending time with the them.  John and Mal popped in right in the middle of the weekly weigh in and photo shoot, not to mention the daily bath in a bottle.  Several pups were in the 'front room' running around on the concrete floor.  A couple had fallen asleep in the crate. Marlin discovered the food bin this afternoon and was seen standing on his rear legs sniffing the air. Speaking of sniffing the air, I prepare their puppy food in the garage but the minute I begin to mix it their little noses go up and they literally begin to climb the wall.  I'm still clicking as the food is set down and today for the first time I noticed a couple of the pups sat and looked up at me as I began to click. It was really cute. We're getting there!  Some of the pups discovered their mothers' food pail and I had visions of "Bert" (J&A's Remington Arms) from Treasure's first litter. He was the liver and white pup that actually climbed up to where the pail was hanging and suspended himself over it to eat her food!  Oh these pups are so beautiful, intelligent, outgoing, healthy and funny!  Now when I approach they all come running and their little tails wag to see me, it is so endearing to my heart. There are those who are very outgoing so you know they are the ones that appeal first to everyone. But the newness wears off and they go do their own thing. This is followed by the others who were were kind of waiting for the social butterfly show offs to get out of the way.  I group them in alpha/dominant, middle of the road, and passive categories for my own benefit and write down their behavior.  Every day there are new things.  The photo shoot in itself was a hoot! Julie will be visiting the pups again soon and we will take a group of more formal posed pictures.  I can't believe the babies are 5 weeks old.  My goodness, the time is now flying full speed ahead.  The puppy pen is totally converted now. We have about 2 inches of shavings on the entire floor with 2 layers of paper underneath. We did try to implement the framed puppy litter pen to no avail.  It works for litters of 8 and under but anything over that forgetaboutit.  Unfortunately, puppy poop and lots of it is a fact of life at this age and it will only get worse. They will track, wrestle, and roll in it and one thing I hate is to pick up a puppy with poop on it.  Not for my own displeasure but because for theirs. Human babies need to have their diapers changed.  Dog babies need to be cleaned up after them.  From now on we will go through a lot of shavings but the pups will be clean, dry, odor and stain free as much as possible.  Momma Treasure still thinks she should go in and clean up after them.  I am letting her know that is no longer the case.  Weaning is going very well. The puppy food is prepared so as it is no longer mushy but actually has moistened kibbles in it. By the time they go home they will be eating dry food. Their baby teeth are all in and they are sharp. Treasure has done very well to teach them it is unacceptable to bite her nipples.  She still nurses them a few times a day but will quickly correct a puppy if it gets too rough.  Playtime has escalated to full romps around the pen, woofing, play bows and lots of rough housing. There is now a stool in there for me to sit on when I visit.  They are climbing up and down on that. John will put the culvert tunnel in for them to enjoy  soon.  PHEW!  Not to mention we are getting Hemi ready not only for more field trials but for several days of shows.  I think there must be more for me to share but it's only 6 pm and I have so much more to do before calling it a day. 


There are now only two males available from this litter of 11. I'd like to personally thank those of you who have been sending referrals our way.  I am always amazed at what a small world it is once we begin communicating with each other.  We are still accepting and screening applications for the two remaining pups as well as for the future.  It is very humbling to say the least to realize that our Brittanys have developed a honorable reputation I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, just want to say that it means a lot to know that people 'get' what John and I and our Brittanys are really all about.  It makes it easier in the long run to determine what families they will share their lives with. I'm amazed really and I'm going to say it one more time - God is in control and that is the way I like it!  Take care and God bless you and yours always,  John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

PS I did take some single pictures - I'll either share on Picasa and/or facebook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!