ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

ATB Video: 3 Week Brittany Photo & Weigh In

Brittany Pups 3 Week Weigh In:
Henry: 2 lbs 7 oz
Bolt: 2 lbs 7 oz
Colt: 2 lbs 12 oz.
Patience: 2 lbs. 6 oz.
Winchester: 2 lbs 3 oz 
Marlin: 2 lbs 6 oz.
Hope: 1 lb 14 oz
Rugar: 2 lb. 10 oz
Browning: 2 lb. 10 oz
Grace: 2 lbs.
Heart: Missed Weigh In!!
The inhabitants of Lilliput have nothing on Treasure and Bullet's pups! 
This afternoon I rested on the floor next to Treasure while she fed her pups.  I was level with her head which rested upon my arm. I could reach over and pet each puppy as it nursed from Treasure. Every once and awhile the thought occurred that perhaps she would consider this as being very invasive.  She must have sensed my concern because she'd ever so gently simply nudge me with the back of her head.  I watched in awe. Her pups seemed to transform before my eyes. Beautiful sweet little innocent beings merged into a frantic, scrambling, mass of hugeness, clamoring across their mother and each other to belly up to her all natural dairy bar. It would have a negative connotation to indicate their behavior was almost parasitic in nature in consideration of the manner in which they greedily suckled upon their mother! Treasure didn't seem to mind though, in fact it seemed as if she settled into a deep place of contentment as her eyes closed and she rested.  She zoned out. And then as if on cue she would roll over to expose the underside of her abdomen thus offering more opportunities for hungry little puppies to indulge.  Intent on filling those roly poly bellies to the max.
Every once in awhile a pup would glance over at me with great curiosity, but not curious enough to sustain the gaze for long.  I could have fallen asleep right along with Treasure after awhile had the floor not been quite so hard for me to lay on.  When momma dog decides that lunchtime (or dinnertime or breakfast for that matter) is over she gives her pups no warning and suddenly stands up and does a Snagglepus "exit stage right".  So it was this afternoon. Imagine the scene of a full grown plus size woman resting on the floor of a puppy room with 11 anxious puppies scrambling about looking for their mother.  Err... on second hand, don't do that.  Think about the puppies though.  And think about Gulliver's Travels. Seriously.

As the story goes, Gulliver finds himself in the land of Lilliput held captive and surrounded by the inhabitants who are about 6" tall.  He is set free and given permission to explore his surroundings as long as he causes no harm to the inhabitants. Well that's what I felt like today in those seconds following Treasure's hasty departure. And here is why.  I decided not to startle the pups by suddenly raising up from where I was lying down. Really that would have the potential to totally freak the pups out don't you think?  Instead I lay very very still, at their level, eye to eye.  They slowly but surely became very interested in the fact that I was there.  A couple woofed. A couple of others ran up and then away. Those who are very bold simply came over and began to kiss my face.  Ahhhh smothered in puppy kisses only to become intoxicated by their breath!  Then one by one they did their little formation thing of siding up to each other. Soon they had formed a semi-circle around my head.  I only wanted to burst out laughing while regretting my camera was not in reach!  So I deliberately began to make eye contact with them.  The pups are seeing images now, their sight is much clearer and will continue to improve.  As their eyes met mine, I gently and slowly dragged out the word 'go-o-o-d puppeeeee' trying to hold their gaze while speaking these words of praise.  It was hard for me to really catch onto what was happening because as you know I am often accused of being 'emotional'.  I prefer to be tagged as passionate, strong willed and caring but nevertheless my eyes were filled to the brim with tears.  What an incredible sight.  What a moment in time.  Like Gulliver, I was truly and powerfully held captive. Bound by the love of the dog, both given and received.  Maybe a once in a lifetime experience.  But that's okay, I got to experience it with eleven 3 week old Brittany puppies. 

Take care and God bless you always, thank you for your interest!  John, Ann and All Things Brittany

PS I am working on a video and new pictures. First visitor is tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!