ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

ATB: A Little Bit of This and A Little Bit of That

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true!
Bogey and A Beautiful Day At ATB
The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the temperatures are reaching 70 today and life is good here at All Things Brittanys.  Bogey has now been here for a week and he's settled in nicely. Bogey's AKC name is J&A's A Hole In One, and the word "bogey"  is  a term used in golfing, it is a score of one stroke over par at a hole.  In case it's not obvious, Bogey is owned by a loving hunting family who also has an interest in golfing! One of the goals for him is that he'll be ready to enjoy his first bird hunting season this year with his owner who truly is an avid, experienced and accomplished hunter. This boy is missed an awful lot by his entire family that is for sure.  I know what it is like to send a much loved dog away for training and to count the days until his return home. I have been sharing updates about his first week with us.  But Bogey truly does have family here, both canine and human and Hemi is happy to have his brother around. Bogey seems to be a dog that brings out the best in other dogs. Piper is especially enjoying Bogey.  Her father Jack loves the pond but not to the point that Scooby or True do.  Yet with Bogey, Jack will walk in the water and play with him!  Speaking of the pond, John has stocked it with Brown Trout instead of Brook Trout this year.  Scooby and Rosie in particular are very tuned in to the presence of the fish.  I'm sure we will be recounting humorous scenarios soon.

Treasure Knows Best
The pups continue to develop, grow, and they learn how to do something new each day.  My time  to sit and blog about them is limited these days.  I do carry my camera with me though so the photos and videos should continue to provide the necessary daily dose of Brittany puppy cuteness.  Pups are adapting well to meeting new people who come to visit on a fairly regular basis. They are also slowly being introduced to some of the ATB canine crew.  Hemi has been in and out to see them during those times when Treasure is off exploring.  John told me yesterday that it was if Hemi was having a conversation with the pups.  He asked Hemi if he remembered being a puppy and sure enough, Hemi responded by making those cute noises that make us laugh!  The 'conversation' was ongoing with John, Hemi, and the pups. Too cute for sure.  I only heard about it, but hearing about an interaction like this as described by John is enjoyable in itself.  Pippin has come into visit with Treasure but we close the door to the puppy pen.  Pip has also shown an interest in the pups when Treasure is out.  I do not take chances nor believe in the co-parenting aspect of dog rearing no matter how cutesy, warm or fuzzy it may seem.  As wonderful and affectionate that Treasure is and as tolerant as she has been she is first and foremost a Brittany with strong natural primal instincts and I know how quickly that switch flips in regards to momma dog with puppies and having other dogs around, sometimes with no fair warning.  Treasure was out in the open nursing pups the other day when Hemi just happened to wander by.  He had no reason to be cautious as she has welcomed his interest without issue.  Mr. Hemikins however sniffed a little too close for comfort. When he did, Treasure quickly turned and snapped at him - her idea of a fair warning that he had overstepped his boundaries in no uncertain terms.  Hemi quickly got the message and humbly turned to leave her with her nursing puppies.  A little while afterwards, Hemi and Treasure were outside playing together like the comrades they are. 

All Things Puppy
Each of the 11 puppies now will respond to the approach and advance of humans.  Some are bolder than others but now all pups come forward.  There were a couple of lone rangers that seemed to be more comfortable remaining in the background but I believe that is not necessarily a healthy part of the development of a litter.   So, while the oh so confident pups sniffed at my feet and climbed up onto my pant legs I intentionally sought the pup(s) who wanted to remain above the fray.  This effort has paid off in just the past 48 hours. 

Now that the pups eyes are not only open but that they are able to focus it is more important than ever to be sure to make deliberate eye contact with each and every puppy as I approach. I hold their gaze long enough to elicit some type of response.  Some pups will quickly move towards me, others will simply sit and wiggle their butts and tails while there are those who will do all of the above and more!  They know though in the briefest of seconds that they are, at that moment in time, truly the apple of my eye. (I use this approach also with my delightful grandchildren - I always want them to know that no matter what else is going on in my life, the one on one moments we share with each other matter more than anything. Truly, with grandchildren, they do matter more than anything.)

When reaching for these 4 1/2 week old Brittany puppies I do not want them to anticipate how I will touch them.  By doing so, this holds their interest and they become very aware of what my hand is doing.  Sometime I reach for them by gently cradling their little bobble heads in my hand.  Or, I will simply take my index finger and scratch under their neck.  Another thing I like to do now is establish a petting pattern by continuing to stroke their back from head to tail.  After several years of PAT evaluations one thing I have learned is that not all pups are quick to respond to a petting pattern, something most of us take for granted I am sure. Consequently, I believe we've identified a very important part of laying the foundation of a lifetime spent being touched by humans, a lifetime of responding positiviely to the hands of owners, trainers, children, vets, groomers and all involved.  Besides, it's so enjoyable!

As for picking the pups up, the first few weeks I would first gently lay them down on their back, in the crook of my elbow while cradling them in my arm.  This is a submissive position and sometimes an older dog without prior experience being held this way could protest.  Again, this is not to be confused with the controversial alpha roll.  (The alpha roll has it's place with some dogs in certain situations but only with knowledgable individuals.)  After feeling the pup relax I then gently rub their belly and coo 'good puppy' to them.  At 4 1/2 weeks of age I now handle these beautiful Brittany pups of Treasure and Bullet in a multitude of different ways and they all just love to be held and will not resist... I spend a lot of time with a puppy sound asleep in my arms or lying under my chin!

Planned puppy visits are so enjoyable for all concerned.  I love to see our puppies through the eyes of others.  When they are in their new home I shall share some of these photos, they are delightful. Their energy spurts are very short lived so I try to be sure not to get the pups up and going before their company arrives. Visits are much more fun when they are like a wind up toy ready to move full speed ahead come what may. One by one they slowly unwind as their energy level dwindles and next thing you know they've all fallen asleep again.

With the changes in the puppy pen the pups are now going in and out of their whelping box at will.  I put a small cradle mattress along the outside railing to soften the blow when they tumble up, over and out onto the floor.  It also helps in reverse to give them a little added height to climb back in.  The beautiful crocheted puppy blankets made by Julie are getting broken in. When pups go home, they will be soft and familiar to the babies, freshly laundered yet with the lingering scent of litter mates and Treasure.

As for the rest of the crew we are getting ready for some local outdoor shows this summer and spring. We are also getting ready for a few more field events. Last week should have been the first full week for the ongoing gun dog training that John enjoys so much.  Due to the rainy weather the running was somewhat limited although they do always get out this time of year for exercise and play.

Speaking of Grooming
Grooming should really be ongoing but when preparing for a dog show it can be compared to a trip to the beauty salon, show grooming a Brittany is the not the same as what is typical for your family pet or hunting dog.  John and I have never been big fans of frequent bathing of dogs.  If they roll in something gross and stinky because of their desire to conceal their own scent with eau de dead animal that's different and calls for a bath! Part of the beauty of owning a Brittany is that they are low maintenance, their coats are wash and wear, and don't really need frequent, all over baths.  We both feel that dogs should not, be bathed that often. Most dog breeds have a protective oil in their coat that actually helps guard against the elements by repelling water, keeps skin moist and fur soft, as well as keep them warm in winter, cool in summer.  All things to consider.  I'm not going to advise anyone on how often they should bathe their dog.  Frequent bathers though should use products mild enough and formulated especially for dogs.  The same dogs that live in our house, enjoying our couch and beds are also the same dogs that spend time in the kennel/dog house and vice versa.  Keeping nails trimmed, ears clean, coat combed and brushed, teeth clean and general daily grooming is ongoing.  But to keep the coat and skin clean, we use a moist cloth or special dog coat wipe to remove debris, any surface dirt or impurities and to condition the coat. We also use dry bath, waterless products that you spary on and wipe off.  Seriously, unless working to get a specific coat into show condition I really only like to use shampoo once a month to avoid skin issues such as itchiness and flaky skin.  To keep the crew smelling good and freshen up in-between baths I like to use lightly scented non-aerosol conditioning sprays. Some products, like Ice on Ice by Chris Christianson are multipurpose and help repel urine from the boys feathering.  Each time the dogs come back from the field John and/or I go over them with an actual fine toothed comb.  I do have some pet grooming peeves (literally).  I don't like to see the hair on a Brittany dog ears grow beyond the length of the ear leather or accumulate underneath the ear.  Matts can form when this  happens.  I also do not like to see an excessive growth of hair on or underneath their tales.  I'm guilty of letting an occasional tail flag or marshmallow tip develop but not for long.  If someone has a tough time doing nails for whatever reason, then a visit to the groomer or vet is in order. Typically it's a minimal expense but really necessary. They do need some nail length and they also need the hair in between the pads. Some of today's grooming trends on Brittanys leave me scratching my head. All Brittanys benefit from a field cut in the summer, just not too short.  Clippering too much hair off will leave the skin susceptible to sunburn.  The Ice on Ice product that I use has sunscreen in it though as many products for dogs do.  Once again I share this great link to an outstanding website on Brittany grooming. I'm not advocating that Brittanys should not have baths - only that it can do more harm than good to bathe them excessively. Having said that, we do have a portable propane heated outdoor shower to spray them down in warm weather as needed. We do hope to put in a free standing dog tub at some point.

Living With Osteoarthritis
My knee is sore lately so I think it's almost time to go back to the orthopedic surgeon for another Synvisc-1 injection.  I have really started to target certain foods that are known to combat the osteoarthritis.  I will not let it get me down and I will not let it keep me from enjoying my life to the fullest.  I have found that if I don't push myself and just sit around letting the pain and stiffness over rule, then setbacks are likely to occur. By keeping active and pushing through the pain I find I can do a lot more.  I spent enough time as a teenager flat on my back in bed with a full body cast after a spinal fusion to correct a double curvature.  Not fun. Even so, last year I was about ready to give up on field events with the dogs or showing.  I had an attitude adjustment and a strengthening of my faith at the same time.  The encouragement of friends and family helps too. So-o-o-o while the gimpiness seems to be a way of life now, there are days my gait does not reflect that. And there are days it's very obvious. But I'll be darned if I'm going to give in to affliction of any kind.  And that is a message for another day!  Take care and God bless you and yours - thanks always for your support and interest. Sometimes I get long winded, this is one of them I guess !!  John, Ann and All things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!