ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chibougamou / Ramblings

John and one of his good friends Stevie on Lac Chibougamou, Canada

John and 4 other friends headed to Quebec a week or so ago for a well deserved fishing trip.  Destination: Chibougamou, a 12 hour drive from home. Over the past 10 - 15 years there were many trips there and each one equally memorable.  Usually the memories include so much laughter to the point that looking back at some of the photographs will evoke instant insanity as one releases laughter from the deepest part of their being!  There is also some truth to "what happens at Chibougamou, stays at Chibougamou."  The last time our entire family went together was in 2000 - and our oldest grand child was just a baby. Now we have 7 grandchildren so time flies.  The last time John and I actually went together ourselves was immediately following our daughter wedding.  After a year of preparations, company coming and going, major surgery on my part, sewing her wedding gown, and all that goes along with your daughter getting married - John and I jumped in the car and headed north to Chibougamou for a couple of weeks. It was the perfect getaway for the parents of a very beautiful and happy bride!  You have to absolutely love the wilderness, tranquility, solitude, and no contact with the outside world to enjoy a trip like this.  And not only is that true for John and I, but it is true for the friends who have made that trip with us over the years, and especially for our children.  Although our camp is no longer in our hands, the trip to Chibougamou is still possible as evidenced the past couple of weeks. And there is always Moosehead, Lake - another favorite destination of the entire Short family and just a little bit closer to home.  I really missed John while he was away, he called each evening to check in and make sure things were okay here.  JackDog actually went into mourning poor thing.  But he kept me company and I enjoyed that he was constantly by my side, something not typical when John is home.  All of the dogs adjusted to him being away and believe it or not, they somehow tried to make up for his absence by their behavior.  They were very much aware he was not here and it seemed as if they were more attentive to me, that is when they were not trying to catch emerging frogs in the pond, burying a ball or a bone from one another, simply laying under a shade tree, or most enjoyable of all for me - resting nearby with me on the grass.  Motley crew. Indeed they are. I enjoyed some time with them all to myself of course and vice versa. I think I'm rambling at this point though.  I stopped writing this blog entry much earlier today when 4 or our grandchildren were dropped off to spend some time with us - we had the best day!  And then I came back to pick up where I left off and find I can't jump back into that 'place' of writing I was at a little earlier.  But I can share that today we gave tractor rides, blew bubbles, played baseball, had a cookout, and enjoyed ourselves to the fullest. Jack played baseball too - he literally stole second base, he picked it up in his mouth and ran off with it - leaving us in stitches laughing!  Then he decided to be the catcher, caught the wiffle ball and started to chase John with it, actually tagging him with the ball in his mouth.  Oh I have pictures to prove it!  I'm tired.  It's been a great day, a great month so far, and as they say - life is good.  Always so much to share with those who care about All Things Brittany!  And we care about 'you' too.... take care, God Bless you and yours... John, Ann and the motley crew of Brittanys we choose to share our lives with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!