ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Dorothy / Letting Go

Shania:  A Very Special Young Lady

Pictured above is a young lady who we have had the pleasure of getting to know since moving here several years ago.  I first met her grandmother, Maria, at the town office where she worked.  I had a very young Jack puppy in my arms and was working on socializing him.  I wasn't sure how a 10 week Brittany puppy would be received by the municipal officers of the town but he was welcomed with open arms.  Maria took an instant liking (loving?!) towards JackDog and told me how her boyfriend had once had a Brittany too. It was the beginning of a special friendship with a special family.

In time John and I joined York County Kennel Club. Maria and her mother, Charlotte, were very involved with YCKC and I believe were co-founders with several others.  We shared mutual friends in the club and right away I could see that the sport of purebred dogs ran strong in this family.  Charlotte must have mentored everyone and anyone in this area concerning showing as well as putting on shows, how to do matches, breeding, selecting an animal and you name it - she knows about it and has the experience to support it.

The first year that we were members we also were on the set up committee.  Unfortunately that was also the time when Timberdoodle died suddenly of cancer.  I remember going up to the fairgrounds to apologize for not being able to fulfill my duties and being met with kindness, sympathy, hugs, and shared tears with offers of shoulders to lean upon by so many of my friends in that club.  Charlotte and Maria were among them as well as Tracey and Jay and others.

And it was there I met Dorothy.  She was dressed in a beautiful blue and white aproned gingham dress, her dark brown hair in pigtails, and believe it or not - she was wearing ruby slippers with white bobby sox.  I learned that Dorothy's grandmother had made the outfit for her.  I was introduced to a young girl with rainbow dreams of showing dogs in her future and that is where the yellow brick road of friendship began with a very special family.  Dorothy's real name is Shania.

Our paths have crossed often since that time for a variety of reasons but usually surrounding dog shows, club meetings and setting up/taking down at YCKC shows.  In the meantime Shania began to attend handling classes under various instructors in the area and I heard how well she was doing.  Her uncle had a Doberman named Pace and Pace is the first dog that Shania took into the ring.  I had the privledge to be ringside for her show debut and was amazed at the interaction between Shania and that dog. 

As time went on, we'd all bump into each other here and there, and I often referred to Shania as Dorothy - as that has always stuck with me for all the right reasons.  In 2009 I was chairing our Brittany clubs specialty show and had entered Miss Pippin who was just a little over a year old.  I was also showing Treasure and my plate was full of all kinds of responsibilities; suffice to say I was overwhelmed.  Suddenly Shania appeared out of nowhere and asked if I needed any help. I suggested she could take Pippin for a walk for me and she was thrilled to do so.  I observed the immediate bonding that occured between my puppy and Shania and was really quite taken back.  Pippin can be a very bratty girl but Shania had her wrapped around her fingers.  I am of the opinion she is a dog whisperer in the making.  Without hesitating I asked Shania if she would like to help me out and show Pippin. She did.  And they ended up placing in the Specialty among some very stiff competition.  

As time went on we would always hook up together at various dog shows around Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.  Sometimes it would work out for Shania to handle Pippin, other times to simply give me a hand with the dogs, and often also to assist other Brittany exhibitors as well.  Just this past weekend in Cumberland Maine Shania succesfully handled Bullet for Julie to second place in Open Dogs.  Shania also handles her grandmother's beautiful Australian Shepherd named "Annie".

School just let out and hopefully Shania and her family will be at some of the same shows we are at over the summer. When that happens, we will compare schedules and see what happens.  I see the promise and hope of continuing the legacy of showing dogs within Shanias eyes.  I see the support of her grandmother and great grandmother and of course her parents as well.  I understand what is going to be necessary in order for her to continue to improve and finetune her handling skills as she ever becomes increasingly more competitive.  And because I've raised two children myself, I'm aware of other responsibilities in her life.  But John and I will do what we can to support her, to enable Miss Dorothy to follow her own yellow brick road - which is ultimately Gods Providence for her life.

There is a Brittany in Shania's future as timing and the perfect situation present itself.  When it does, it will be perfect for all concerned as we hope to offer her a co-ownership with a puppy from Pippin, with her family's support.  We have plans to breed her in 2011 to multi BIS Champion Tonan Hopes RU Kidden Me. It was Shania's great grandmother who suggested he would be a wonderful match for Miss Pippin. In the meantime, John and I and many of our ATB family will continue to encourage this special young lady.  There were a lot of things going on this past weekend at the Brittany club's Specialty show - and I can write more about that for there definitely are things to brag about.  But tonight I just wanted to introduce Shania by way of the photo above.  It truly is worth a thousand words and reflective of the love between our special young friend and our very special Brittany, Pippin!
In closing, I wanted to point to the comment section of the blog prior to this one.  Some of you may remember "Sweet Pea" of Treasure and Gibsons litter.  She is now "Millie" and at nearly 9 months old is beginning her formal field training with our friend Bob Paucek.  Greg, her owner dropped her off today at Bob's and it was extremely difficult; but she is ready to learn the finer points of being a bird dog and he wants what is best for her.  Last week John took Greg over to meet Bob and all went well.  But today is the first day of summer camp and I can totally relate to how Greg is feeling. It is never easy but the time will pass and in the end the thrill of walking into the woods for their first hunting season together is going to make it all worthwhile!  Take care and God Bless all of you - we so appreciate your interest in All Things Brittany!
John and Ann and our amazing Brittany crew!

1 comment:

  1. I totally want to second the wonderful things Ann said about Shania. She got responses out of my Bullet I've been trying to pull out of him for weeks, but he just naturally did it for her. I was very blessed to have Shania available to handle Bullet on Sunday, and I was extremely proud of both of them as I watched them work as a team in the show ring. Thank you Shania and Bullet Man sends you loving kisses!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!