ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Brittany Nightcap

Happiness is a Warm Puppy! (1 week old new Brittany pups from Molly & Scooby)

Today was a beautiful day in the neighborhood.. Molly Rose enjoyed herself today and actually ran across the front yard.  I wish I could explain to her that she shouldn't push herself but how do I do that?  Molly may be a sweetheart, but she's also a very strong willed girl. This has worked to her advantage this past week in regards to the healing process. With each passing day Molly sparkles more than the day before. Her coat is glowing again, her eyes are bright, she is eating and drinking much more than she had been, and she's happy. Molly is a Brittany dog that smiles, some of them do you know?  She also does an Elvis impression, but only for John.  He can get her all animated to the point where she will look at him sideways and life one side of her upper lift, to reveal her teeth.  It is so funny!

I could sit and watch the pups forever.  I see them do the most amazing things; behavior that can make me laugh one moment and cry the next.  I try to capture as much as possible of these moments in time on video or in photos. They are so responsive to me when I hold them.  Could it be possible they recognize my touch from before they were born?

John spent the day working on the fences in places that need repairing.  This needs to be done every spring because the weight of the snow bends the fencing down in places.  We have approximately 5 acres here for the dogs to enjoy, and are surrounded by hundreds of acres of fields and woodland.  Anyway, he is exhausted tonight and there is still more to do tomorrow.  He does always make time for the entire crew whether it's loading them up in the truck with some birds or if he's taking a walk around the pond etc.  I was watching John this afternoon as he went into each kennel run.  Part of the fence was still open to the road so a late day run was out of the question.  But he went and spent time with each dog, and I was especially moved as I watched him pat his chest to signal that it was okay for them to jump up.  He must have been carrying on a conversation with them because tails were wagging.

It was a day to remember for Brook, our next to the oldest grandaughter!  It was Maines opening day for spring turkey hunting for Junior Hunters only.  Brook shot a very big turkey and came over to show us. We're all pretty proud of her.

Pippin is lying on the floor next to me, fully stretched out.  She is a Brittany that complains and lets others now how annoyed she is by actually groaning and moaning.  It is a low, gutteral sound and if you don't know this about her, it's easily mistaken for growling.  Lately she has been groaning and moaning with greater frequency.  She's also pretty restless, something John and I both have noticed.  I don't think she is very big if she is pregnant, and I am not expecting a lot of pups. But I could be very very wrong!

What is going on with Pippin is just as important to me as what is happening with Molly and her pups.  But it is Molly and her 6 new Brittany pups who are my primary focus and care in these hours. There will be time enough to expound with great joy the way we are also feeling about Pippin's potential pups. 

Speaking of Pippin and Molly, it's time for Pip to get one more run around the yard in before I tuck Miss Molly in for the night.  This may be the earliest bedtime we've all had for about a week, and that's a very good thing. I'm tired.

Take care and God bless you and yours. John and I and ATB with you all a very happy "May Day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!