ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Molly Day 56

Queen Molly surveying her kingdom

Molly, Treasure, and Pippin were very helpful just a little while ago as I puttered around outside in the perennial garden. It's a good thing I had the foresight to plant a perennial garden because there is no spare time in my life to tend to things of nature as I once did !  Right now it's quite a mess out there but it did feel good to simply play a little bit in the dirt.  A couple of months ago I bought some Morning Glory seeds at Tractor Supply thinking those annuals will look very pretty as their vines grow and they climb around the fence between our house and our neighbor.  Only problem seems to be trying to figure out where those seed packets are. I think I still have to wait a little longer though as I heard a forecast mentioning the word FREEZING.  But one of these evenings I'll soak the seeds in warm water overnight, wrapped up in paper toweling, then look in the morning for hopes of sprouting! I will have to work fast if I do plan on doing ANY planting or gardening because in the blink of an eye and without complaints - my world will turn inside out then rightside up as we welcome Molly and Scooby's pups into our lives!  And then, just as suddenly as we went from pups born in a blizzard - to the first day of spring, so shall summer be upon us. This I know to be true.  And what little work I do this next week outside, I will see the evidence of it just like "THAT"! (snapped finger.) 

The Tulips and Daffodils are up about 5".  I can see the Peonies and various Lilies.  The Hosta is growing well. Various others such as Canterbury Bells, Foxglove, and Sweet William are there too.  There are little tiny yellow buds bursting forth on the Forsythia.  The Iris are poking up through too.  Our soil needs some real improvement but thank God for hardy perenials. Julie and Jim gave me garlic chives and garlic bulbs to plant along with our regular chives.  Our former neighbors here planted Lilac trees just outside of the property line.  And these are most of my favorit perennials.  Favorite because the majority of them originated with either my mom, Johns mom, or his grandmother.  They have been transferred and transplanted over the years. Some still remain in their original locations although it's doubtful my mum's Iris's could survive the darn stupid porch the new owners put up over her garden... grrr. And I never did see the Narcissus pop back up next to her white picked fence. Speaking of that, Narcissus is the one perennial I have yet to put in... that's going on my list right now.  Anyway, it is really cool because the Peonies originated with his mother's grandmother's garden. And we have them now. 

Molly Rose lying there while I worked on the garden briefly reminded me of our first summer here when she was but just a little puppy.  A little puppy intent on helping me garden!  She saw me dig in the dirt and so she dug in the dirt. When I scolded her she would run for cover underneath the front porch pictured above. Then, from her perceived security underneath the protection of the porch, she would woof! woof! woof! at me the whole time wagging her little tail.  This morning she still enjoyed the comfort of the porch as she lay out of the direct sunlight and she still wagged her tail. We both know that these moments are precious and value them together as they come.  The other girls were running around exploring, getting all kinds of muddy and some of the crew that had not yet been out yet were mildly protesting.  But Molly and I enjoyed a few quiet moments simply 'being'. 

Our puppy room is well prepared for life to begin anew. I was so thrilled to discover John had installed the wall to wall carpet that was recently removed from our den and office. Cut to fit the entire area designed for the pups and the whelping box, it adds additional warmth and enhances the cozy feel. The business of 5 - 8 week old pups is a stark comparison to the first few weeks of a pups life. Recently I enjoyed a quick look back at the  ARCHIVES  from January / February this year.  Although it's unlikely there will be a blizzard to keep me tucked away with pups, nevertheless that's where you'll find me.  Me and Miss Molly McGee!

John's loving this weather for working with the dogs. Looking at the rest of the hunt test season to decide who goes where and when. I'm psyched that Nash and Star are going to be tested again, Nash only needs 1 more qualifying score - he is out of Molly and Jack, and Star is out of Wish and Rylee. Bullet will return as will Miss Piper - when she is out of heat.  Thanks Piper.  I'm also pleased to hear he has some plans for 'everyone' else. Above all, he loves giving the dogs their time in the field, being with them, and watching his efforts pay off. The training is not for competitive purposes but he's enjoying what is accomplished when he chooses to give that a try.  Speaking of which, the first training for the new Maine NAVHDA chapter is this weekend, so along with the pointing dog training day it's going to be a busy time.

Today the Pippinator's well sprung rib cage looks even more so. 

Take care and God bless you and yours, always know how much we appreciate your interest! John, Ann and our fun-loving amazing Brittany crew!





No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!