ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Molly & Pippin

If you read yesterday's blog "April News" then the above collage will make sense to you!  I just wanted to catch some very candid poses of Pippin and Molly together as they continue to grow closer with each passing day.  Anyone who really knows the personality of these two girls will understand the signifigance of what is developing.  Does this behavior mean that Pippin is pregnant?  If so, is there some kind of maternal bond of understanding between them?  And if so, just what will the extent of this be?  Molly is a well experienced Brittany mother, one who requires the most utmost respect and dignity (privacy) as her due date approaches.  This will certainly be provided to her.  Pippin on the other hand has no experience at all but as a singleton (a litter of 1) she was always extremely attached to her own mother, Chrissy. It was interesting though that she grew to be quite an independent girl.  Anthropomorphizing is attributing human characteristics to animals and I am not supportive of that particular philosophy in most situations.  But I just can't find a way to describe what's going on between these two.  Maybe it is because Molly and her daughter Rose are not together to the extent they usually are. Perhaps it is due to having a 'house guest' with Bullet visiting.  Maybe it is because of Treasure's indifference to Pippin and Molly which is understandable.  In a nutshell, I really don't know.  But what I do know is Molly and Pippin both are becoming very appreciative of belly rubs, they each are desiring (and deserving!) of extra special times of cuddling and loving of which there is never a shortage here for any of our crew.  Molly, who is usually a very picky eater suddenly wants to eat everything in sight!  She's never been one to attempt to counter surf but this past week I have caught her in the act several times.  Pippin, who is always a chow hound has now for two days in a row left food in her dish.

I found a sweet photograph taken several years ago during the winter when Timber was just a pup.  Molly and Timber were walking outside in the path which John had just made with the snowblower.  Actually, the picture is included in the video "Brittany Inspirations" which is listed on our video page at the Maine Brittany Site.  We bought Timber with the hope that we would eventually breed the two together for a particular purpose we had in mind.  It was not meant to be, however now we have taken that hope one step further as Scooby is the sire of Molly's anticipated pups.  I've mentioned recently that I'm reliving the timeframe of the sadness surrounding Timber's death even as I type.  It's hard.  But so many ATB friends and family are truly carrying me through this with your prayers and encouraging words.  I'm not dwelling on it but there is no way I can anticipate the arrival of these Brittany pups without a deeper meaning enveloping me.  Yet it is not about me at all.  Right now it is all about Molly.

A reader wrote and asked me my plans for Molly when she 'retired' from motherhood and you can read my comments off to the side. Its a good question, one that dog breeders are often asked.  Miss Molly Rose will remain with us for the rest of her life which I hope is a very long long time.  There are times when, for all the right reasons, breeders may choose to place Brittanys they love and/or have bred with a family looking for an older dog.  Some will do that routinely in order to comply with the Maine animal welfare laws which license breeders based on the number of intact animals owned.  Each situation is unique though in its own right.  But as for Molly?  She'll be right here along with her daughter Rose and the rest of our Brittany crew for many years to come.

True, Piper, and Bullet have all been entered in hunt tests this coming weekend.  True has also been entered in a field trial.  I cannot express fully how much this means to me but you can bet this will be further elaborated upon after the weekend.

Well, it is late and John just came through to see when I was coming to bed.  I think that means I am going to bed right now LOL!  I look forward to keeping you updated on the developments here. We'll be sending out a new updated waiting list which I think will put some more smiles on some faces for sure.  I can't believe that we are looking at fall 2012 - but it is awesome and humbling to know you think so highly of our Brittanys that you are willing to wait.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  To all of you who read this and to those who share your lives with us as surely as we share ours with you - take care and God bless until next time - John, Ann and All things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!