ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Molly DAY 49: Reminiscing

Timberdoodle & Molly Rose

It is quite possible that two weeks from tonight we will be sharing the good news about the arrival of Molly and Scooby's puppies - or close to it.   (I think I just heard the sound of a few heartbeats suddenly grow louder as there seemed to be a sudden brightness as well.)  Brook May's 10th birthday is April 21st.  Will Molly bless this special date as surely as Treasure blessed Nova's 11th birthday?  God only knows! 

Each day Molly is growing more uncomfortable.  She is seeking the solace of the space underneath our bed and in the evenings, she is snuggling up under the covers and keeping John's feet warm.  In just a few days we will begin to take her temperature on a daily basis to establish a base number as her due date approaches.  This is probably the single most reliable sign to determine the approach of labor.  A dog's average temperature is @101.3.   As whelping approaches the temperature fluctuates for a few days between 100 and 101.  The difference may not appear to be very significant from one number to the next but each nth of a degree holds great value to the breeder who is closely monitoring their valuable animal carefully. There are very clinical aspects to whelping a litter, some which I often deliberately avoid blogging about because for me - bringing a healthy new litter of Brittany puppies into the world is at once spiritual and physical all at the same time.  Let it be known, I am about to enter that 'place' with Molly that I go to whenever a much loved Brittany is about to bring new puppies into the world. And as that moment approaches, life at All Things Brittany will indeed reflect the anticipation of what is about to occur.  Life will go on here of course and mostly due to my wonderful husband and helpmate who ALWAYS keeps things running smoothly.  Running smoothly means, among other things, that our entire canine crew gets the full attention, love, care, exercise, and opportunities that keep them well balanced and all that they deserve.  

This journey we are taking together may appear to some to be 'just another litter of puppies'.  Absolutely NOTHING could be further from the truth.  Such a casual approach has no place here in my heart or in our lives.  Banish the thought and realize there are often reasons for me to feel extremely proud as well as protective of All Things Brittany. As I consider these things along with another gazillion random thoughts that flit in and out of my head, I need to remember how important, how special, how planned these puppies are. I am reminded of this through the collage which I created earlier this evening.  I was going to post a lovely photo of Dawn kissing Miss Pippin on the nose at a recent show.  But I thought no, there will be time enough to bring Pippin's anticipated pregnancy alongside the story of Molly & Scoobys puppies.

When Timberdoodle came into our lives we were at the very beginning of re-establishing what we had started back in 1990.  Molly was here to welcome him into our home and we began (again) to be a multiple dog family.  Molly was less than thrilled in the beginning.  When the prima dona HAD to be seen with Timber she made sure to communicate to us that it really was below her dignity to play with a little liver and white male Brittany puppy.  The collage above reveals all including how, when no one was really looking - she actually enjoyed playing with Timberdoodle.  They were very good buds and as he matured and grew into a finely tuned athlete, she and Timber enjoyed each others company. 

Molly matured into a beautiful Brittany in her own right.  She is highly intelligent and beautiful, playful but also somewhat independent and aloof.  Molly's best friend is her daughter Rose.  Molly has grown up with our grandchildren and as all of our Brittanys here, is very kind and gentle to them.  She is a wonderful hunter but very soft and this is important to remember when in the field with her. A stern, raised tone of voice is not going to cut it for this girl - but letting her know how pleased you are with her and she'll give you 100%.  This can make for some battle of wits at times.  Ask any owner of one of Molly's pups and they will tell you the same. 

Scooby is fun loving, happy go lucky and he really is a mommas boy.  Scooby handles so well for me but not so much for John all the time.  I look at Scooby and I see his father in his eyes.  I see his mother Wish in his hunting ability.  I see both of them in his personality.  I look at Scooby and Molly and can only envision what amazingly intelligent, outstanding hunters, and beautiful Brittanys they will produce. The words I use to describe our Brittanys are reflections of the relationship I share with them.  I do hold them up to the AKC Brittany Standard with it's time honored qualifications which are intended to depict a perfectly conformed, structured Brittany dog.  Being breeders who are primarily focused on gun dogs for the walking upland game hunter - it is important to us that the size and structure will support a dog who physically is capable to hunt all day.  But to describe Molly and to describe Scooby as the date of their pups arrival approaches is to describe a family member.  It's just the way it is. 

Right now there are several families preparing their hearts and homes for Scooby and Molly's pups.  I am always amazed at how our lives cross, how life's circumstances and Gods design work together for John and I when we plan for pups. It's not something we can take for granted anymore.  And in itself, I seriously feel there is a story to be told that bypasses all of my comprehension and understanding. 

A person's belief system is often a private and personal part of their life, and I respect that.  I also know I don't need to spiritualize each and every aspect of my own life.  Yet I do not know how to live one day of my life without giving God thanks for it.  I cannot separate the reality of my day to day life with John, our family, friends from the reality of God being in control.  Most of the time - it's just not right out there in a preachy, obvious, religious way. (I hate the term religious...)  But ALL of the time, it's in my heart, my mind, my soul, my thoughts... it's just the way it is.  I am so able to share this information without fear of ridicule - there is such a freedom in being real and transparent.  Although friends who know me best also have the freedom to remind me often that my halo is tarnished and crooked.  And I need to remind them how grateful I am that they can see me at my absolute worst and yet they still love me.  Again, there is a freedom in friendship at this level.  There is no competition, no jealousy, no need to lie or stretch the imagination, no need to impress, no need to manipulate, no need to be someone I'm not. So - let's simply share the joy and anticipation together of these next few weeks and months, shall we?  The puppy cave is about to inhabited again... !

Take care and God bless you and yours always... John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

PS I just updated text on the home page on the Maine Brittany Site and also added a new gun dogs page too.  I do need to fix Stars horn hunting photo, I think that is actually Nash in the picture.  I also need to add Matt's hunting pictures of him and Rudy in New York State.  Reminds me how Rudy flew home in his owners private jet when they picked him up - he's Sassy's full brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!