ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ATB Video: 1 Week Old Brittany Puppies

The Triple J&A Litter - 7 days old (video is about 5 minutes long)

Last week at just about the time I am now writing this blog, Treasure had started to leak amniotic fluid and was becoming increasingly restless.  She just could not make up her mind as to where she wanted to be or what she wanted to do.  Her temperature had dropped below 100 degrees and remained just a little above 99.  I had expected to take it again to discover it had gone down even more.  That was not to be because  the first stage of her labor began immediately, proving any further temperature taking to be an unncessary discomfort for Treasure. And now here we are 7 days later and enjoying getting to know the beautiful new litter of 11 Brittany puppies, Treasure and Bullet's puppies to be exact.
Earlier today I explored the ATB archives regarding pups of this age and what I have had to say about them in the past. Just as each litter of pups is unique, it was a pleasure to discover what has been shared in the archives was equally as unique. I also did something brand new in regards to blogging by sharing what I posted here on the Maine Hunting and Sporting Dog Owners blog over at the Bangor Daily News.  The intention has been to keep these two very distinct blogs separate. Today that didn't make sense as there is a category there for blogging about the breeding of hunting and sporting dogs.
One week old - already.  So many changes during this neo-natal period which lasts until about the time that the puppies open their eyes.  This is that period of development as I shared yesterday where it appears that nothing is happening.  It is a period of darkness for the pups but one that is so important.
Our 'program' of early sensory stimulation has already started for the puppies. Not surprisingly, I am already seeing results of my efforts in this.  But most importantly the love affair with Treasure and Bullets pups is just beginning.  Holding their puppies close to my face as they adjust to the newness of who I am is just the beginning of the 'getting to know you' stage. I know that in a very short time the reactive, spontaneous responses will change into deliberate reactions and responses. I don't want to miss a thing.  There is so much to do, and each step we take closer to the first day of the rest of their lives is just as important as the other ones before. The ultimate goal is to prepare these pups to spend the rest of their lives with humans while introducing them to the wonder of their immediate world around them  A world which for now is limited to the whelping box.  Although their environment is currently and temporarily restricted in the whelping box there is no limit to the way in which they are already learning about love and trust.  It is something they are learning about from their mother Treasure. It is also something they learn from John and I at this early stage.
For those families and couples who are awaiting your new puppy in about 8 weeks, I want to remind you that Monks of New Skete is required reading so I hope you have that book in your possession by this time. If you do have it, I hope you are reading along in the chapter which speaks about the neo-natal period.  Following along in that book will help you understand what is going on with your puppy when you know you cannot be here to enjoy him or her at this point in time. 
Well my dear readers my head has bobbed down to the keyboard a time or two in the past few sentences so all in all, I know it is my bedtime! And I do not mean maybe.  Thank you as always for following this blog - take care and God bless you always. John, Ann, and our wonderfully amazing Brittany crew.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This takes me back to almost one year ago. Watching every video, studying every picture, reading every word of the blog - all in an effort to better know my new J & A's Brittany. Lucky owners of this litter - surely beautiful dogs and many talents yet to be revealed. All the best to everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!