ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Treasure's Pregnancy: DAY 58


Well here we are again and now it's late Wednesday night on Day 58 from Treasure and Bullet's 1st 'tie'.  Today, Treasure continues to sleep deeply and soundly at random intervals.  Last night she reached such a deep level of sleep I had to watch to see if she was breathing.  Treasure's appetite shows no signs of slowing down but we have to be very careful that she won't over eat by offering her several small meals throughout the day.  It doesn't matter if it's water or food - she just does not have room her puppies are crowding her abdomen. Each day their movement becomes stronger than the day before.  Feeling for and observing the movement of unborn puppies is such a beautiful thing.  Sometimes their movement reminds me of waves upon the ocean, they can be so rhythmic.  Other times it's easy to use my fingers and trace the outline of a little head or even a small leg/foot. At least I THINK that's what I am tracing! One thing for sure is that it is very easy to get lost in the beauty of those precious moments spent with an animal you love and leaving the troubles of the world on the doorstep, at least temporarily. Even so there is an additional sense of wonder this night going outdoors with Treasure in the dark.  There is enough moonlight to accentuate the fluffy white clouds rushing by overhead. It's very breezy but the air is so fresh and clean, almost exhilarating. The kennel crew of ATB has gone to bed, their nightlight is on and they are each sleeping so soundly that they do not pay Treasure or I any mind. (Sometimes at night it's possible to look out and see a head or two poke out through the individual doors then duck back in.  The pellet stove still runs for them during the evening and their warm, clean, dry beds beckon them back in.) I watch Treasure like a hawk when she's outdoors with a flash light at night.  Actually a flashlight would be another item to add to the ATB Whelping Supply list along with a 30' lead. It's too early for me to be very concerned about what it is our girl is actually trying to eliminate when she goes out to relieve herself.  Once contractions begin she'll feel the need more and more but it will be her babies that are causing the sensation as they progress down each side of the uterine horn.  While laboring years ago Treasure's mother Wish went outside to supposedly go to the bathroom - in the dark of night.  She wandered just beyond where the flashlight's beam, squatted briefly, tended to herself, then quickly returned with a beautiful liver and white puppy completely cleaned off, laying it at my feet.  No kidding. 

I shared earlier today with Julie and then again on Facebook how my day started earlier than usual. Although not as early as Johns began - good grief! Hemi decided that 4 a.m. would be a great time to go outdoors and John obliged - I'm not sure how happily.  But I did get up at 6 which is early for me and went out with Treasure.  I was anxious to see if there was any significant change in her body temperature. (There was not.)  I went over and sat down on our front steps with a nice hot cup of coffee. I watched Treasure as she seemed to enjoy stretching her legs and trotting slowly around the yard.  She looks like a rocking horse when she moves quickly. You know she wants to break into a full gallop but there is no way her body will let her do that.  But she tries.  Anyway, Treasure came around me and started acting goofy, something she is doing a lot of lately. I made of her and she ran in back trying to get down in back of where I was sitting and the opening of the step itself.  That's impossible of course. So then she ran to the back of the stairs and began to dig furiously in the dirt and leaves accumulated there. I figured that she needed to get that out of her system and just watched in amusement sipping on my coffee. I told her what a silly girl she was which seemed to make her do it more. When she had things just the way she wanted she lay down in the hole she made and looked up at me through the step with one of those priceless expressions that only dogs can give you. So my day started early however it was on a most enjoyable note! 



The focus of course right now is upon Treasure but God is good and in these times of 'hibernation' in the puppy room which is slowly becoming a puppy cave I am more than aware of the many blessings in my life. It is Holy Week... We shall see what tonight into tomorrow brings.  I've loved hearing from so many of you in email, here, on FB and even by mail :o).  Encouragement means a lot and it is greatly appreciated because it feels like there is amazing and awesome support system out there, a support that includes much prayer.  I know that Treasure in her own way feels it too.  And it is even more wonderful knowing that there are others waiting along with us - because Treasure is carrying something very precious to them too. Take care and God bless you all, you're really special people.  John, Ann, Treasure and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!