ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Treasure's Pregnancy: DAY 56


I was trying to decide if I wanted to write anything down tonight to share here on the blog. Just finished watching a really stupid, heavy, dumb movie which left me frustrated at myself for wasting all that time. I should have turned it off in the middle.  So now it's almost 10 pm and Day 56 is winding down.  Treasure's temperature is remaining consistent.  I will take it again before calling it a day.  Physically her body continues to undergo changes.  Looking at her sitting back end to, there is a definite cone like shape to her hips.  Her body is shifting and flexing to prepare the way for the contractions which will come eventually.  At the appointed time, Treasure herself will begin to push voluntarily.  As her actual labor advances however, it is her own body and hormones that will determine the contractions.  We have a ways to go though before we get to that point though.  I'm watching her canine vulva area - it is beginning to enlarge again slightly.  There is also a very light and clear non-descript discharge which amounts to nothing unless one is looking for it.  When petting Treasure, it is easy to 'feel' her spine and her hip because the weight of her precious load effects her entire skeletal form. She's healthy and in great shape with strong well exercised muscles. Treasure continues to grow more restless.  Hemi seems to be her constant companion, at least the one she tolerates the most but then you have no choice with Hemi - he is just a sweet and gentle loving puppy.  Pippin too wants to be near Treasure. In fact as I type Treasure and Pippin are lying down together, Pippin tucked up close to her friends.  Treasure seems to look forward to the increasingly frequent jaunts the two of us make out to the puppy room.  Today she pulled one of her typical stunts.  As you may know, she's quite adept not only at counter surfing when your back is turned, but also extending one of those beautiful long graceful arms across to drag a much desired item to her mouth! This morning I was doing some cooking for her in consideration of the next week or so.  I had boiled a 1 pound package of liver (the only way to do this for a dog without stinking the whole house up is to simply drop a sealed plastic bag of liver into boiling water).  The liver was well cooled and separated into a container ready to put in the fridge.  I no longer turned my back to reach for a pot holder and I heard the container crash to the floor. Sure enough there she was with the entire amount of liver dangling from her mouth!  I said "Treasure! Give!" and reached my hand out as is to retrieve a bird and sure enough - the rest of the liver was plopped into my hand... although she managed to gulp down about half of it first.  It was hers anyway but I hadn't planned to disperse of it so quickly and in such a large quantity. Brat. I'm not quite ready to give up the comforts of my bed over the cot yet so Treasure and I have opted to share the guest room until we move out together.  Actually, the cot is very comfortable, more so than the love seat which I use to sleep on in the dog house.  Having the puppy room to retreat to is very much when a young child has their own tree fort to escape to.  I know John feels that way too - when he's missing in action from around the house or yard, I know to look in there.  Anyway!  I did spend some time this morning updating the waiting list again and I have to say things are coming together very nicely. We're still accepting serious inquiries though! I'm calling it a day, John did that about an hour or so already!  I'm really enjoying getting to know several of our soon to be new owners.. it is so fun to wait together for Treasure and Bullet's pups.  In the meantime, sleep is a requirement so that'll be all for tonight I guess. In the meantime thanks so much for the notes of encouragement and support, all the prayers and of course for the ongoing interest you have in our canine Brittany crew.  John and I feel so blessed, we really do.  Are you reading in  your "Art of Raising A Puppy" book?  If so - you know that Treasure is just about where the story begins with Anika walking in the woods and being restless.  Hope you enjoy following along with us.  Take care and God bless - John, Ann and all of All things Brittany!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photograph - Treasure's so elegant. I can't wait to 'meet' her and Bullet's puppies. They'll be very striking, I'm sure. And sweet like their parents, I hope:) All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marilyn, we think elegant is a perfect way to describe Treasure! We're looking forward to those puppies arriving just in time for Easter (sound familiar?!) Appreciate your support and encouragement so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!