ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

ATB: 24 hours, Boys & The Girls


The Triple J&A Litter @ 24 hours
Boys & Girls Identified

We have passed the 24 hour mark and all is well.  The 11 pups have strong suckling instincts and have begun to gain from their birth weight. The overall average birth weight for this litter is 10 oz which is actually smaller than her two previous litters.  I'm pleased about this because both Treasure and Bullet are at the top of the AKC Breed Standard for the Brittany. Treasure is doing excellent in spite of how tired she is.  Her appetite is great and we are enjoying indulging her in some very special meals. Tomorrow she will have her post-whelping exam and the pups will have their neo-natal exam and procedures. John and I remain at the whelping box 24/7 during the first 3 days.   Once we have passed the 72 hour mark which to us is extremely critical - there will be more posts and photos.  There's a lot of things we are both busy monitoring and observing right now and we are like two ships that pass in the night. I have started writing the  "armchair whelping box" blog posts in my whelping journal and once sleep becomes a reality to me hope to share them with all of 'you'.  One really cool thing happened to day though with one of the pups.  I frequently weight and photo ID each pup while on the scale many times during the first 72 hours. It is a lot to go through but it's a safe and sure way to know without any doubt exactly which pups are gaining and how much. Typically after weighing etc. I will place the pup onto the table which has a puppy blanket covering the slick surface. I check for signs of dehydration, cleanliness of pups, etc. and then put my hand out for them to discover and snuggle into briefly.  They actually seem to pick up my scent early on by doing it this way which is pretty cool. I also hold them close to my face and let them discover my breath (which hopefully is fresh LOL). Anyway, you know you can expect most of them to swing their little heads back and forth, then try to propel their bodies somehow which typically results in a circular movement.  Or sometimes a forward movement so you have to be ready come what may! Well today I think I saw a glimpse of things to come in regards to doubling up on known hunting instincts and ability - no hype - no kidding.  Usually I don't worry about what supplies are off to the side away from the surface where the pups are placed. I mean who expects a 24 hour puppy to scamper across the table, off the blanket and try to climb into a box of surgical gloves lying there, or push the aspirator lying there out of the way, or better yet expect that same pup will try to conquer the bag of cotton balls lying there.  Exactly...
Take care and God Bless,
John, Ann, Treasure and pups and all of ATB.

PS Please remember our dear friend Stephanie in your prayers. She and hubby Steve have "Starr" and "Nash".  Steph is recovering from major surgery and I know she'd appreciate your prayers.  Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is cool that Treasure had 11 babies on the 11th of April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is too! And she had her pups exactly 63 days from the 11th of February...also cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless Treasure - 11 pups! Thanks for taking the time to post this exciting event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure Bill! Once sleep becomes a reality again and I have a few minutes I hope to continue sharing this excting journey here. The pups are doing well and so is Treasure.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!