ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Treasure's Pregnancy: DAY 59

The past 24 hours have been like riding a see saw in extremely slow motion. Treasure is doing just fine. All of the physical behavior and signs are just as they were yesterday yet there is a sense of heightened importance to all that is going on.  We did experience our first noticeable fluctuation in temperature as last night she was 101 and this morning 99.  But this afternoon she was right back at her base average of 100.1.  I did contact those awaiting news of their new pups birth sharing my excitement but it was John who reminded me that I could possibly be jumping the gun.  And he was right of course.   Julie also reminded me there is a full moon tomorrow on April 6.  In reality Treasure is right on time as we come to the end of Day 59. We're looking for the temp drop below 100 that stays there because our experience over the years has been to expect to see whelping begin within 24 hours after that.  It's not a hard and fast rule but it is reliable and the key to understanding the significance of it is the consistent taking/recording of temperatures during the 8th week of gestation.
Several things are increasing concerning Treasure's behavior at this point in time.  This includes her appetite, restlessness, her need for deep sleep, amount of times she's asking to out to eliminate, nesting instincts, and she's pacing and breathing heavy at times.  So to the slow motion see saw I suppose we could also add the sensation of feeling like a yo-yo!?  It's all good though. We spent some time outdoors today just the two of us.  John loaded up the horse trailer with most of the crew and headed out for some spring training. He met up with some friends and their dogs so they all spent the day there. Speaking of which - that's how Pippin spent her 4th birthday! They all returned very happy and very exhausted which is not a problem.  Molly and Rosie, the two old girls stayed home (or as John would say the 3 old girls because he'd be talking about me - yes I love this man) and Treasure of course. 
I am enjoying the time spent in the puppy room with Treasure. I pulled out the oversize wicker dog bed for her and tossed her bedspread in it. She loved that.  So now she has several choices of comfortable spots to lay down out there, including the cot which I have yet to spend the night on. That's coming.  Just not tonight! One of the newer behaviors that has surfaced this evening has been how Treasure will suddenly become extremely attentive and alert, walk around the house as if she's on a mission, going from room to room to return to my side again.  Her pups are very, very active tonight.
I continue to peruse the several years worth of Dog World magazines from the early 60's.  The are so relative for today it astounds me. One contrast I have noticed in the writings of the current era is that people seem to be concerned with being more politically correct, afraid of offending others which is crazy.  The stories in these 50 year old magazines tell it like it is and I love it. There is such a freshness about the life of breeders, exhibitors, judges and the like as portrayed by a multitude of authors from that particular generation. Of course I enjoy the occasional unintended mining of a nugget which surfaces via the discovery of a note or highlighted article my dad commented on. These are priceless to me as I can basically see through the eyes of an adult breeder what he was seeing at the point in history when I actually was but a child at his side. I may have been the child of a breeder and familiar with breeding techniques at a young age, but I'm not going to claim those experiences could possibly qualify me as a lifelong breeder!  I could but I won't.  Even so,  I value appreciate my dad's insights shared through the Dog World magazines, as well as the actual whelping journal of notes he wrote years ago.
Sharing this journey about Treasure & Bullet's anticipated puppies truly has brought about several unexpected joys and blessings.  This includes hearing from several families who shared recent updates about their Brittany, families sharing life with a Brittany (or two!) whose arrival we once waited for together in the same manner in which we now wait for Treasure and Bullets pups on Day 59.  Breeders should always be interested in hearing from their puppy families on several levels.  For us, those updates often begin on the day following the 1st day of the rest of the pups life, and we receive calls, notes, and emails about the first night away from ATB.  I have often joked in the past and said we operate at 24/7 support here and offer tips on how to survive life with a Brittany. After awhile the photos and phone calls are less frequent and that's understandable.  At Christmas time though John and I are always thrilled with the photo greeting cards or Christmas letters that we receive.  As we are primarily breeding for close working gun dogs, we especially look forward to when bird hunting begins and hear all the upland hunting stories and how awesome folks favorite hunting companion did.  We're here and we always will be here to stand with and behind those who do have our Brittany's, come what may.  We took our responsibility seriously then and we take it seriously right now.  What has really touched my heart this week is the gentle reminder that so many of you are right here with us and for that, I thank God and I thank you. Our mutual love of the dog both given and received (in this case the Brittany) often times includes the love of God.  One way or another, we are always in some way connected.

This night we are heading to bed early.  It is a perfectly quiet and peaceful evening. I'm too tired to think about watching any television or doing any reading. It is not even 10 pm but my eyes are heavy.  I am surrounded by sleeping dogs and a snoring husband. God bless each one of you reading this - take care and I'll update again soon.  John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!