ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

DAY 60 / The "Treasure House"

Because Miss Treasure will be our first Brittany to have pups in the new 'puppy room' I nicknamed it 'The Treasure House' just for the time being.  It's kind of like the box we use on our digital scales to weight newborn pups on which is a wooden fruit container which originally held clementines.  The logo on the side was so appropriate for Molly and Jacks pups, we all nicknamed them "Darling Clementines".  What can I say, I'm wierd and find hidden meanings around every corner! Seriously though, I wanted to further highlight the room which John continually improves upon daily. Today he installed a small woodstove which will be much more efficient and less costly.  In case it's not obvious by now, John is very adept when it comes to construction.  He and his father built our first home together and over the years John has successfully constructed a variety of buildings, sheds, garage etc. and is highly skilled in all the construction trades. Having said that, I hope this little collage will illuminate just how cozy the "Treasure House" is.  It started out as part of the garage, just an area off to the side for my grooming table and equipment. It evolved into it's separate identity and now it has been totally transformed. He is very resourceful and everything John does, he literally does 'in his head' first.  Consequently, I stay far away while he's dreaming up a new project.  When it's nearly completed, then I show up to compliment him on the work he's done!  Like we always say, it's nothing fancy here, but whenever an improvement is made it is done with the well being of the dogs we love in mind and that takes many shapes and forms.  In the photo you will see Treasure laying in the middle of her whelping box chewing on a bone, a picture of Pippin and Jack laying together in the wicker basket and one of Pippin just daydreaming, there's a view of John sitting on the outside of the whelping area relaxing, shots of the entryway from outdoors and inside, a picture of one of the windows with the curtains I made (nothing fancy remember) shelving, etc.  Voila!  There is also a cot on the inside of the whelping area now and earlier, Treasure and Jack were laying down together.  And speaking of our girl...

Treasure's temperature today is holding at 100.3, no changes one way or another so we are right on track.  We have no way of knowing WHEN her pups were conceived as as Treasure was bred over a series of days, there are actually several due dates to refer to.  She is not especially restless but is spending a lot of time resting if that makes sense.  I do know this that she wants me 24/7 (John would say that is true of all of ATB actually!)  So there is really nothing exciting to report tonight, absolutely no sure sign of advancing labor. Treasures nipples continue to enlarge, her teats have begun to fill with milk, and she does have a very clear and slight discharge.  If I even look at her cross eyed she begins to 'talk to me' and does her woo - ooh - woo.   Yesterday I lay on the floor with her and she suddenly jumped up onto my chest and began to rub her neck across mine while talking and kissing.  It was so funny I just laughed and the more I laughed the more she did it all the time wiggling, wooing, and kissing.  It was like she was wrestling me with her neck.  All I have to do is purse my lips as if I am going to howl and she goes crazy with joy! Go figure... she's just fun that's all. 

It has been a good day, I made beef stew and dumplings for supper.  I've enjoyed the email and interaction with so many of you and have to apologize for the lack of one on one personal correspondence.  Marilyn - Ringtime is 10 am Saturday!!!!!! I have to look up Sundays.  Bob - I have not forgotten your phone call. 

And I am FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!!! Beginning to feel a little better.  It's been since Christmas this bug has had me down.  Thank you to all of you who continue to follow this journey and have an interest in All Things Brittany.  It means a lot.  I will update again tomorrow or when there is something to share about Treasure's advancing pregnancy.  Take care and God Bless, John, Ann and ATB

2 comments:

  1. Logged on specially for a Treasure update, the room looks so awesome, but I'd expect nothing less from John. Thanks for the updates ~ we're thinking of you, so glad you're feeling better and sendng Ms. Treasure lots of love!

    Steve, Steph, Nash & Starr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, she feels the love and so do we! You are right, John really does his best when he gets an idea in his head. Even today, he is still thinking of ways to improve the room but I think it's perfect just the way it is - I could stay tucked in there until spring!!
    Love you all, Ann

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!