ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

DAY 61 / A quiet morning

It's a very breezy and cold winter morning here at All Things Brittany.  It is also very quiet on the homefront in regards to Treasure and her advancing pregnancy.  It is Day 61, from her first breeding with Gibson.  Last night she did not move off our bed, but lay very still and quiet the entire night.  Treasure's appetite is still verocious/ferocious (?!) anyway, it is good.  She is eating 4 very small meals throughout the day.  This morning she went in back of John's chair where he keeps a stash of  hunting and outdoors magazines and newspapers. His jacket had been casually draped over the chair itself and left within her reach.  Keeping my eye on her I watched as she pulled the jacket down on the top of the magazines etc., walked around and around then plopped herself on top of it all. The space there is no wider than a foot and a half I'd say. Then she sweetly looked up at me hoping I'd praise her. Which I did.

Treasure and I spent most of the morning out in the puppy room where it was warm and cozy.  She lay in her whelping box most of the time while I sat nearby just watching, observing and trying to get some kind of idea of where she might be concerning labor. Her temperature was down slightly but there is no drop, yet.  She is going into deeper periods of sleeping during which time she often stretches and moans gracefully.  Treasure is definitely more relaxed and settled in when we are in the whelping area together.  I told John it's time for me to hunker down with her in one place and be ever more attentive to her needs.  With all the comforts of home surrounding us, that's where we will be spending the most time.  John continues to find things to improve upon although I don't know how that can be, everything is so nice. I think the only thing we do not have is the Pedialyte and I have to make up a big batch of nursing mother's pudding. A trip to the grocery store will take care of that.

As I observe Treasure's body, I can see the subtle change of her hips. There is a lot going on with the pups as her ever increasing gentle contractions position them for the approaching delivery. As this happens her 'butt' end will widen and take on almost a cone shape, I am seeing this clearly.  Over the past hour, despite the deep sleeping she experiences, her movements are more frequent and deliberate.  This could continue for quite awhile - or - things could begin to move very quickly.  All I know is I will remain with her, which is her preference.  And mine too.

I do hope you are following Ankas progress in the Monks of New Skete: Art of Raising a Puppy. Some have asked if we will do a live cam of Treasure and pups.  My reasons for not doing that are referred to on the BREEDING PROGRAM 101 page at our maine website.  Even so updates, photos, and videos will be frequent! Okay, time for me to go hibernate with Miss Treasure. For me, this is what it's all about on many levels, as we look forward with all of you to the arrival of these most precious Brittany puppies.  Take care and God Bless, John, Ann, Treasure and ATB 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!