ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

New Little Brittany Faces to Love...10 Days Old

FACES WE LOVE

10 Days Observation: Continuing with the Monks book and following pups development, we find ourselves in Chapter 3, the Neonatal Period: 1 - 13 days.

As surely as the excitement of whelping is now a fond and recent memory so will these early neonatal days soon be replaced with great visual and physical activity.  We don't underestimate the importance of the past 10 days though in the lives of our new Brittany puppies.  Their mother has constantly cared for her 8 pups and is well aware of their utter dependence upon her.  The bond she has developed with each of them is strong and sure. Leaving her whelping box for the briefest periods she is indeed a loving, nurturing, and protective mother.  The pups are amazingly oblivious to the world around them that soon will expand beyond an existence of behaviors primarily dictated by reflex alone.

(The Monks do elaborate on this in more detail with interpretations of specific neonatal learning.)  These 8 Brittany pups are beginning to lose their immature appearance. Ears no longer stand erect, looking like rubber appendages.  Now they have hair (not fur) on them and a more characteristic triangle Brittany ear flap.  The squished in pug nose look is starting to transform into a recognizable muzzle.  The pups over sized bobble heads still look disproportionate compared to their body.  Individual traits are starting to emerge, becoming more apparent to me even from morning to night.

In noting the rate in which each pup gains weight I can determine which pups may be more dominant or assertive.  As I handle them with increasing frequency I can see various levels of typical Brittany 'fiestiness'.  It's important for the pups that I can identify which one(s) may be more reactive or sensitive to touch as early as possible.  For instance a few days ago I noticed 2 pups gently protesting my soft stroking of their bellies while in my cupped hands.  When I placed pup in the crook of my elbow, providing a warm, hammock like hold it allowed me to calm them with my entire hand, using my fingers to ever so softly embrace their neck, shoulder, and chin.  It was so neat to see how quickly they settled. Although the specific handling exercises are not the same as snuggling, cuddling, and loving times although they are equally as important, and I often combine them all.  Should I say always?  It's a type of training and some of the specific techniques do produce a mild yet beneficial stress.  "Rewarding" these pups by lavishing increasing amounts of love and affection upon them isn't a difficult task.   Certainly ANY time spent handling a little puppy brings great joy and pleasure for all concerned whether purposeful or simply for the pure joy of it!  It is great therapy and surely emphasizes "all for the love of the dog both given and received."

At Day 10 we are into the second week of life for our beautiful new Brittany puppies where we will experience 2 more important benchmarks in their development.  These are the doubling of each pups birth weight and the opening of their eyes.  I like to see the weight of the entire litter doubled by Day 10 of life.  Well, we are just 1/2 an ounce away from all 8 puppies reaching this goal today!  In the days ahead we will be watching for the teeniest, tiniest little opening of eye slits. When we notice this happening the shades will be drawn for a few days.  The pups eyes will be a beautiful blue color when first opened. They cannot see at first but soon can detect movement around them as shapes take on a familiarity to them, most noticeable each other and of course to their mother. It's a time for fun for all concerned!

I enjoy getting down to the pups level as close as possible and interacting with the pups in the whelping box, even laying my head right down in front of them. Puppy breath, anyone?!  Once their eyes are open they react to 'seeing' my movement so to avoid startling I will move slowly.  With eyes fixed upon me their reactions are so funny and cute.  I love it when all of a sudden this big WOOFY BARK comes from a little puppy staring straight at me.   The curious, inquisitive young Brittany puppy (or two or three or more) wobbles over to investigate the shape of my face. Teeny little bird dog noses instinctively sniff at me gently and I remain perfectly still and quiet.  The moment has come for the first puppy kiss which marks not only the beginning of the love affair between Brittany puppy and Brittany breeder, but the beginning of the human/animal bond. This wonderfully enjoyable and innocent experience is one of the greatest rewards for me !  Even so it further reminds us of our responsibility and commitment to do all that we can do in the coming weeks to prepare each and every new Brittany puppy in this 10 day old litter to spend it's entire life with people.  Indeed, there is much love, joy, and happiness in the journey for the dogs and for us!  Take care and God Bless, John, Ann and All Things Brittany

2 comments:

  1. Deb, Narragansett, R.I.January 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM

    I so enjoy and look forward to each bit of news. As an owner and lover of two brittanys, I never got to experience this type of communication. I bought the last of the litters and they were 11 weeks old. The pups are beautiful and Treasure is a wonderful mom. Thank you for all your heartfelt sharing. I'm learning so much too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I'm so glad you enjoy the ATB blog and happy to make the acquaintance of another Brittany owner! I never tire of sharing about the dogs, I find them so intelligent, beautiful, and amazing. There is simply so much to learn from Brittanys (and all animals). When we lost our 13 year old Brittany "Hunter" I vowed never ever to take our dogs for granted from the time they are born, to the time they go to the 'Rainbow Bridge'. Truly it is all about the love of the dog, given and received. Enjoy your two Brittanys! Take care and God bless.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!