ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day Weekend in Conway, NH


Out of all the locations for a show, this may be at the top of my list for favorites. Nestled in a valley of the White Mountains in North Conway, NH the Carroll County Kennel Club shows speaks peace and relaxation - even if you are parked next to dogs that bark all night ;o). This show is about an hour and a half away from home and a real nice drive with the exception of experiencing brief traffic going from Fryeberg into Conway.
Tom-Tom took me on a little adventure before arriving at the show site but an enjoyable one nevertheless. Pippin and I headed out early Friday afternoon in hopes of beating the traffic and we were successful. Folks we'd met at last weeks show told me that there was a place to go swimming with the dogs on the Saco River and oh! What a nice surprise! Pippin is fairly wash n' wear so down over the riverbank we went and she just loved the quick swim. I looked upstream to realize there was a swimming hole before the turn in the river... something to think about for next year! I waded up to my knees and it was picture perfect.
Evidently Fritz Clark (show photographer) thought so too - the river was the backdrop for the show photos of the winning dogs and owners... ALSO something to think about for next year! I'm enjoying getting to know some of the dog showing community; the folks with the Scotties, the couple with the Afghahn Hounds, friends with Goldens who have more friends to meet, and this week especially being two sites down from another friend of YCKC - who took a major with her Yorkie! She invited me out to dinner Saturday night and over for coffee on Sunday morning, both deserving of a raincheck. I learned also about need for an exhaust hose for our generator to redirect any fumes. It's nice to walk around the show site and even without knowing names etc. of other, the faces continue to become familiar. One of the things folks look forward to are the vendors and there were several new ones there - including one that sold lobster rolls! Well I brought enough money this time to buy the salmon oil that I've been wanting to get as a supplement. Made in NH from pure human grade ingredients I have been coveting this for awhile now. And I also had enough to buy a Mendolta lead, which will be useful for bringing dogs to the line at the field trial as well.

There were only 3 Brittanys entered this weekend, Eve and Pippin - and Adam. Eve won 1 point each day and Pippin of course won Reserve. I enjoyed cheering Peggy and Eve on, and especially enjoyed seeing how joyful her young daughter was when her 'puppy' won. Eve went on to compete in Best Puppy in Show and came away with second place! Later in the afternoon it was so relaxing to have an opportunity to sit and watch ALL the Groups, beginning to end cheering and clapping for my favorites of course. The very best part of Saturday was having John and Jack there. This was Jacks first dog show, and he did very well (VERY BIG GRIN). I was proud to see John and Jack there. They were on their way to some fields for some training, and had some birds with them. I had contemplated what might happen if a gamebird accidentily found it's way to the middle of the ring. JUST KIDDING.... oh but can you imagine??? John and I spoke to a lot of people about Brittanys, answering questions about the breed and sharing information about field trials, hunt tests, and even breeding. Jack and Pippin just invite people to come and pet them - and we are always happy to share what we do know. We have a couple of families to follow up with too, an added bonus for the future.

Sunday was basically a repeat of Saturday. I have no complaints - the judges were good, and both Eve and Pippin are beautiful Brittanys. Pippin just did not exhibit the enthusiasm. Todays judge evaluated the dogs equally, and called us both to come to her together. She made a squeaky noise with her lips - Eve looked right at her and Pippin looked right at me! (That's one sound we use for watch me - I'll have to train her to watch the judge instead!) I stayed and watched Adam and Eve (too funny) compete for Best of Breed and then said my goodbyes and packed up.

I had a fresh frozen bone in the freezer from the butcher to give Pippin when everything was said and done. This occupied her while I broke everything down. We're down to about 1/2 hour total for set up and/or take down! Not bad! The Brittany Mobile headed out of the showsite and I was dreading the drive home (THIS IS LABOR DAY WEEKEND!) But John told me another way to return to Acton, through some of the backroads and small towns and I took it. Can you believe - there were less than a half dozen cars on the road and the travel time was the same. I passed a lot of beautiful lakes and all the cars were headed in the opposite direction. Gotta love my husband for that one!

Pippin and I got home just in time to enjoy a delicious Sunday dinner cooked by John, while I started unloadin the camper. My priority was to find out about Treasure - and she was just hanging around, relaxing with Jack. Treasure and Pippin romped a little bit, played with bones and balls, and soon settled into a routine for the afternoon. I didn't want to disrupt the others so am waiting until just a little later for visits with the rest of the crew.

Thinking this is it for me for awhile with shows. Pippin has 'got the show thing' down pat and we have a few things to work on. The field trials are all coming up, and bird hunting plus plus plus - something even more wonderful than all of these things are anticipated and should soon be confirmed... Shows can get very expensive and I am thankful we have been able to afford to enjoy the ones we have gone to this summer. I know Pippin will finish in time and I'm not in any rush or hurry. Of course I dream of rapid championships - and they do happen. But I'm trying to do it all by myself. I have to say I REALLY REALLY miss our good friend and dog trainer Tracy Shaw formerly of Alfred Maine and Diamond Dream Dog Center. She moved to Texas to work with military dogs there. She was invaluable as a mentor and a trainer!

We have a dinner invite with our daughter and family to enjoy this week - this will be fun to celebrate back to school, and we are already getting packed for the field trial. All the crew will be with us - and entries close on Wednesday - there is still time to enter a pup or young Brittany (pointing breed of any kind too) for the trial.

Okay I'm exhausted but I don't think I'll get time to post much more this week - one never knows. Wanted to share this weekend and hope that you all have enjoyed this weekend as well!
Take care and God Bless always, John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!