ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September Morn

What a beautiful early September morning! The air is refreshing, and clean - the kind of weather that brings the desire to bake apple pies, open all the windows, air out the house, and maybe do some late summer yard work. Or not! John headed out first thing this morning with Jack to continue with his fall 'tune-up', readying him for the hunting season ahead, a field trial or two and maybe even a Hunt Test for his Senior Hunting title. Me - I'm feeling the effects of a whirlwind August, looking at September in the same light - and setting my sights on October. Our children and their families have been so busy too and now it's back to school already! I had a wonderful conversation with our daughter last night, and John had an equally enjoyable chat with our daughter in law so I feel we are all caught up somewhat.


Yesterday afternoon John and I took Rosie, Pippin, and Jack out to the training fields and worked with them. Rosie lives up to her name of "Ever-Ready". Like Treasure, she is all business and gets to working hard and fast right when we break her away. This is why I wanted to have Pippin run with either of these girls, to encourage her to work out in front of me and the strategy paid off. I was surprised because Rosie actually passed up a bird that Pippin picked up the scent on. Pippin works the area with deliberate intention, and then slams hard. She is not steady to flush but with John helping me, we can get the cord on her long enough to steady and stroke her - I'll flush and fire. She is steady after the flush and shot and definitely has no problem with a couple of shots fired right in front of her. She's getting it. I am too - poor John - he is not only training Pippin - he is retraining me! The last dog I personally completed basic training with (completing being the key word) was actually Timberdoodle. Since then it has been John and I together, or John and Bob, or John. I'm okay with the preliminary yard training - but you don't want to be around when the two of us are working the dogs together beyond that. It's not pretty ;o). Aside from all that - Pippin had 3 productive finds and I flushed 3 birds for her with John's assistance - and fired the shots off. Rosie ranged far and ran big so she just had a good time. She did lock up real nice on a bird, and was steady to wing and shot. But we weren't worried about Rose! John took Jack out by himself and I rested with the girls, catching our breath and quenching our thirst. The afternoon was cool and breezy, a good training day for the dogs. I will not work them in the heat, just not worth it. Most places we go there are a few ponds for them to cool off in though. When John and Jack came back the good news was how proud John was of JackDog. That dog will do anything for John anyway, and he is such a gentlemans hunting dog. We kenneled Rosie and Jack, put a real long check cord on Pippin, and headed out with her to find any remaining birds. It didn't take her long. Just as John was explaining 'his strategy' to me she picked up the scent and began to work towards her objective. John quickly walked up her checkcord, and approached her to steady her, easy Pippin... whoaaaa.... I went in so she could see me, and flushed the bird for her - she didn't budge as the bird flew up in front of us and I fired the blank pistol. (Again, we have a state training license to do this!). John collared her away and I marked the bird. The three of us then walked across the field and it did not take long for Pippin to pick up the scent of the bird again. Unfortunately (for me) the bird was tucked deeply in among a congestion of twisted roots etc. (Smart bird). I couldn't see the darn thing!!! John didn't use the cord this time, just trusted Pippin and steadied her and gently whoaed her... very nice Pippin.... Well - the fact of the matter is I couldn't even find the stupid bird this time but instead of blowing it for Pippin, my instructor ;o) told me to kick up some grass or brush and fire anyway which I did. She wasn't stupid though, and knew the bird was still there of course so we led her away.

On the way home we stopped at a small ice cream stand and bought a round of ice cream for both humans and dogs. They had peanut butter icecream with a doggie bone just for the record. I'm going to try to get a little basic yardwork in with Pippin today.

Well, I just had the sweetest liver and white Brittany come and put her paws up, and lean over to kiss my ears and neck. Of course I stopped and reciprocated with lots of hugs and belly rubs! She is... hmmm.... putting on weight for 'some strange reason.' Extra weight always looks good on Treasure anyway, love that girl.

I'm happy to learn that another of our pups is going to be in the Central Maine Brittany Club Fall Field Trial! Steve and Steph are entering Starr. Woo hoo!

We are getting ready for another show weekend here at ATB. Hope that the weather is nice. John is getting everything he needs to set up the field kitchen(s) for both field trials (Maine Bird Dog Club is the week after CMBC). Soon we will pack up the RV with All (and I mean ALL) things Brittany and head up to the field trial grounds. It's always a lot of work - but it's always good at the end of things to hear how people enjoyed themselves. Most of the officers and some members pitch in and help to set up for this annual event. The first thing to set up is the club's big tent, then tables, chairs, the field kitchen and you name it. My job is Field Trial chair but I have yet to understand the full scope of the job. There are many many jobs to do at a trial, and we always appreciate everyone's help. Our Field Trial VP Gary Anderson puts a lot of time and effort into making sure everything runs smoothly, and what would a field trial be without Donna Prides years of experience and guidance. Folks come from all around New York and New England, and very often you see some of the top Brittanys in the country out of New England, who in many instances have already qualified for the Nationals in November. Walking (more like running!) a brace where one of this Field Champions is competing is quite an experience and education. Our clubs trial is walking only, no handling from horseback but I believe the judges still can ride. What I really enjoy is seeing the same Brittanys in the ring come and compete in the field, to watch those who already have earned the coveted Dual Champion title. It's one thing to see a Brittany gait in a show ring, it's quite another to see them work their heart out in competition with other Brittanys at the field trial.

There are several 'classes' of braces for the field trial, all based on age. Each brace consists of two dogs, that literally compete against each other. Judges select the best out of each brace (Privately) and compare the results at the end of the stake, awarding 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place. Amateur stakes are for amateurs only, no professional (taking money for services) may compete there. The open stakes are for both amateurs and professionals. Everyone waits around for the end of each day when announcements are made as to the placements. Special recognition is given for several stakes. And then of course on Saturday late afternoon/early evening there is the annual 'cocktail hour' of appetizers and beverages of choice followed this year by a family style pasta dinner. (Last year we had lobster for the 30th anniversary!)

Well I started this post about 6 hours ago and have not been back to the desk since! John came home and we've been right out straight so catching a couple of minutes now to finish up. Having said that, I'm going to sign off and say goodbye because it's on to the rest of the day and sounds to me like dog training is going to be part of it! Take care and God Bless, John, Ann and All Things Brittany.

1 comment:

  1. Ann,
    Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading it. I can visualize Pippen going after that bird. Treasure sounds like she certainly is a treasure. My Beloved Brownie Girl was liver and white, and reading your post brought back beautiful memories of her. Thankyou, Sue Hayes

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!