ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Soon To Have Her Own


I have a photo library of many pictures and was looking through them this morning. I came across these ones from July 2008, when Treasure was playing with her 'half-siblings'. She has always been exceptionally gentle with younger dogs and John often says he knows she is going to love her puppies. Thought it may be fun to share these pictures from last year in anticipation of 'things to come'! Not that I'm excited or anything.

Actually every day my anticipation heightens.   I observe Treasure's increasing discomfort and she just lives to be close to me. I am happy to oblige her.  In a few weeks she will focus her love, time, and energy upon her very own babies. 

I can't explain sufficiently the difference I am feeling 'emotionally' about this litter of puppies yet to arrive.  Jack is out of our breeding and he has sired some very nice Brittany pups who are proving themselves in both the show and the field - and especially as family hunting companions.  But experiencing the reality of Treasure's pregnancy now that her due date is quickly approaching is very different.  Of course whenever we have had pups over the years, we willingly give of ourselves for the benefit and welfare of the mother and her pups.  Each Brittany here is unique in their own wonderful way and loved for the individual they are, that's a given!   I really can't explain it very well...suffice to say, I'm really pondering and reflecting upon a deeper meaning here with Treasure. I'm thinking how I want her to be comfortable for the remainder of her pregnance, hoping the size and positioning of her pups result in an uncomplicated delivery, wanting to keep her level of stress and activity as low as possible while getting the necessary excercise, and watching the amount of food she eats, to strike the balance between what is needed and what will make her uncomfortable.  As I watch 'mother nature' bring expected change and behavior to Treasure, the miracle of life created by God's hands concerning all His creation, even the lesser ones - I'm amazed to see the "animal" instincts clearly show themselves strong in this domestic creature, this Brittany, who I love and call "Treasure." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!