ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Treasure - 7 weeks and Counting



Treasure's pregnancy continues to advance and her body reacts to all the changes taking place.  Last week while rubbing her very big tummy I noticed that the hair around her nipples has started to shed. Her appetite continues to increase but I have divided her meal times into 4 servings so she does not overeat and get uncomfortable. 

I had been looking for Treasure's 'puppy blanket' that our friend Julie had made earlier this year.  It was actually to be for me to use at the shows inside the crates but Treasure claimed it.  It is a combination of light blue and purple, a very pretty crocheted blanket.  (In case you don't know - Julie crochets blankets for all of our pups to take home with them, a generous gift that we all appreciate.) Anyway, I couldn't find it anywhere until Saturday night, when I also couldn't find Treasure anywhere in the house.  She always comes when called so I became concerned and began looking to be sure I hadn't accidently closed her in the back room. I opened the bedroom door and heard this scratching and digging under the guest bed where some boxes are stored.  Sure enough, when I looked underneath the bed and behind the boxes, there was Miss Treasure, frantically making a nest with the missing purple and blue blanket.  "We" have now started  nesting which means keeping even a closer eye on her.  She has since decided that it is her job to rearrange any laundry that happens to be around, including what has already been folded and is waiting to be put away.

Speaking of puppy blankets, Pippin still has the one that Julie made for her last year. She sleeps with it, carries it around, transports it from the dog house to the people house, and - mauls it.  Once when Julie was here visiting she kindly did a quick repair to Pippins blanket.  I am afraid it may be time for another one soon as Pippin insists on taking it out into the run with her, tramples it several times, then lays down smugly.  I never know quite what action or behavior to expect from Pippin, she is just a sassy little riot of a Brittany!  Being a singleton has been challenging to the older girls however who fortunately for Miss Pippin, have patience with her antics.  I do think that Wish is very close to sending an unmistakable message to Pippin that enough is enough.  Have been watching Pippin push Wish to the limit lately and today the communication between them was a little tense.  It's bad enough Wish has to deal with her juvenille deliquent son Scooby when he acts crazy but then he is Pippins running buddy.  Evidently she has picked up some undesireable bratty behavior from Mr. Scooby.   Wish is sweet and understands younger dogs quite well, but I will cut her some slack and advance Pippins obedience training ;o).    Wish looks absolutely beautiful and is in wonderful shape.  There are many times I've been tempted to show her and others have suggested it as well. 

Speaking of Scooby Dooby Doo - he made me laugh this morning so hard.  I was feeding Pippin' and making of her quite a lot. Scooby sat on top of his crate and started to vocalize what sounded just like syllables of spoken words.  I talked back to him and sure enough, he was making himself known.  Probably telling me okay enough already with the Pipsqueak - it's my turn!!! 

Jack continues to enjoy his elite position as traveling everywhere and anywhere with John.  I think John's still very proud of his 1st place win in the Walking Hunting Dog stake at the field trial, a very big deal for all of us!  Bird hunting begins tomorrow and the two 'boys' have plans.  If you see the big red truck look for the big white dog sitting shotgun.

Rosie and Molly have throroughly enjoyed the cleared 'lot' that John created down back this past weekend.  Not to mention that on Sunday he burned the woodpile all day in the pouring rain.  This resulted in - you guessed it - sooty puddles of yuck - everywhere and translated into - Molly and Rosie once again turning into liver and white Brittanys.  (Just like 101 Dalmations, remember when the puppies were all covered deliberately with the black soot and ashes???!)  Yup... that's what we have here.

Yesterday I moved my books etc. down into the dog house, and will bring coffee maker other items etc. as well.  Loaded up with some of favorite CDs.  Satellite TV works.  Looked up the army cots, the pillows and blankets are still in the drawers down there.  I am planning to move out soon LOL!.  Surveillance cameras, monitors, walkie talkies are all in place.  Really, do I need an excuse to spend time with All Things Brittany?  Absolutely not! 

It is all about getting Treasure prepared and accepting.  So okay, yah I spoil them. And yes, there are people who say just leave a whelping mother alone, in the morning the pups will be born.  I'm sorry.  It's not my way.  We are responsible for putting two animals together for the sole purpose of bringing another litter of WANTED puppies into the world.  It's not too responsible to just let a first time mother go through this with little attention coming from me.  But there is the school of thought that says leave the animals alone.  I can't do that.  Too many things can go wrong.  Most of the time everything proceeds perfectly and there is no need for me or John to get involved. But there are times when the unexpected occurs. So we're close by and keep watch more and more as the day approaches.  It's the way my parents did things back in the '60's and its the way we did things with our first litter in the '90's.  It's why I am careful about attending dog events when one of ours is pregnant, or when we have pups. It's because it's all about the love of the dogs, both given and received!  Sorry for my little rant - they rise up every now and then (poor John!).

Well, this afternoon it is gorgeous out, and I'm going to get myself back outside and enjoy some Brittanys!  John's here and looks like we'll be enjoying them together.  Take care and God Bless you, John, Ann & ATB Oh and by the way - good luck tomorrow if you're heading out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!