ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, September 25, 2009

A Lesson in Alpha/Dominance - NOT!

Okay so we all know that humans are alpha/dominant over dogs right? Demonstrate strong leadership skills over your Brittany and they will respect you, right?  Well we have one Brittany who will prove that she has no intention of honoring that theory and I bet you all know exactly who I am talking about!  If you've ever visited our home or our kennel you have seen Rosie perched up on SOMETHING.... Yes I am a stickler for obedience (GRINNING) and I really do not like a dog to jump up on me unless I have indicated it's okay, or invited them, or literally asked for it.  If I'm settling into the recliner with a hot cup of coffee the last thing that needs to happen is for one of our Brittanys to jump up.  And if I'm all dressed up to go somewhere I don't want to have to deal with muddy paws.  So there is some manner of respect.  The word "OFF" or "NO" accompanied by a stare and my hand indicating I mean it works - most of the time.  I like to give a dog permission to enter my space, and they respect that to some extent.  And I try hard when people visit not to let them jump up but it is challenging when someone says  "oh I don't mind".   Brittanys just have this thing where they must check people out up close and personal.  I on the other hand - really don't mind at all but I do like to be the one to give a dog permission to come up.  If I don't give it, they shouldn't assume it's okay.  Ours pretty much 'get that' well, with the exception of one or two, or three or four or depending on what day of the week it is, time of day plus John and I look at this differently.

In Rosie's world - wherever the highest surface is, is where she wants to be.  This can be problematic when loading a trailer, packing for a show, snowblowing, loading a boat or a canoe, etc.  It's tricky in the kennel too when the pellet stove is running.  Although the surface does not heat up enough to cause any problem, I'm sure it must warm her butt after a few seconds of perching on it, you think????   When I see her scouting out the top of the file cabinets I know I'm in trouble.

Well with Treasure being pregnant her homones are acting up and she's not quite as friendly to Rose as usual. Understandably so.  While Rose and Treasure are usually quite compatible together in the house, that's not the case these days.  Rosie's nose gets very bent out of shape when she sees that she is literally in the 'dog house' while Treasure parades up to the 'people house.'  Today was no exception but I happened to catch  2 delightfully revealing pictures of Miss Rosie which accurately portray what I am talking about.  One was taken in the house and the other in the dog house, on top of her crate.  Talk about attitude!  And talk about how much I love her... A LOT!



3.26.12 STATS: 
MOST VIEWED POST WITHIN THE LAST 24 HOURS

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!